Chapter 12 - F$*# Rules

Start from the beginning

"I agree with Nicole." Chris adds.

"Of course you do," Cody intervenes, " Okay beautiful and smart Nikkers. What's your plan of action?

"I think we need rules. You know, like when going to the washroom and no comments about how we look," I say looking at Cody.

"But I can compliment, right." Cody says, moving his eyebrows up and down.

"And if anyone passes gas, you say nothing." Chantel adds.

Rico laughs, "okay so no negative comments about how we look or smell."

"Yes!" Nicole smiles.

"Let me get this straight," Cody interrupts, " Let's say Chris wants to tell you that your beautiful eyes shine like the full moon on the darkest night of the year, that would be ok, right?"

God. Cody has a way of getting into your veins like poison and yet stains your heart with his memorable comments. That's why you can hate him with love.

" What about the animals? What the hell are we going to do to protect ourseelves from them.?" Chantel asks, looking around into the dark of the woods.

Everyone's silent. I'm not sure what to do either. I was in girl guides and had gone to camps, but with limited supplies, we're going to have to be very watchful, "We should keep the garbage away from our tents. This way the animals stay away from us." I said.

"Make noises, " Chris adds, " I heard noise keeps the animals away.".

"I wish we had a shotgun, " Rico muttered, " if we had to, we would shoot it."

" Actually, funny you should mention that, " Cody says, getting up and walking to his bag, "I did wonder what or who we could have run-ins with, so I - " Cody reaches inside his bag and pulls out....

"What the fuck Cody?!?" Rico said as he stumbled on his words, "where did you get that from!!"

Cody looks at us with guilt and confidence at the same time, " Look, before you guys talk, hear me out. The reality is that we are in the woods, with no sign of civilization around us. So I thought, if we do get into some serious shit like wild animals, or some crazy lunatic, then we have some protection."

We don't talk. A heavy looming feeling sat around me. I can see in everyone's expressions that this all just got really real. The flirting and jokes and maybe Cody and Chantel hooking up was real and it would be okay, but the fact that Cody might have to shoot something or, hopefully not, someone is so surreal.

"What the fuck possessed you into thinking that bringing a gun on this trip was a good idea?" Chris angrily asks Cody.

"The fact that we are out here in God's country., and i'm going to protect us at all means. That's what possessed me."

"What possessed you to want to bring us out here and jeopardize our lives for gold that might not even exist." Chantel questions Cody.

I look at Cody. Honestly, I wanted to know too. I mean, look at us. In the middle of a forest hours away from safety.

" We can handle it." Cody insists.

"When we had a car." I said.

Cody looks at me, "okay. I didn't think we would lose the car, but hey, that's life isn't it. Shit happens and we have to be strong enough to get through it."

"Wow, it just got uncomfortable here." Chantel bluntly says.

" Look guys, it's here in case we need it," Cody puts the gun back in his bag and zips the zipper, "it will only come out when we need it," Cody pulls out a bag, "but i know what we do need right now, is a pick-me-up to embrace our new found frontiers." Cody sat back in his spot and opens a bag filled with...