Chapter Fifty-Five

Start from the beginning

" "I'm ready to die." " Jace rasps out, weakly.

"And then I said, "Sometimes it's as brave to live as it is to die." " Michael laughs, softly, "Do you remember?"

"I do." He smiles up at his father, who pulls him closer, holding up Jace's lean frame with his bulkier one.

"I know you guys are having a moment and all, " Maya interrupts, "But unless Jace prefers bleeding out on the site of a nuclear disaster, we need to find Valentine's portal."

"The warlock's right, " Michael reluctantly pulls back from his portal; He looks at Maya and Clary with determination, "Let's get going,"

The door of Jade Wolf flies open as the four of them rush in, Clary and Michael holding up Jace as Maya catches sight of Simon and Luke sitting at a table. "We need help!" Clary calls out.

Simon and Luke rush to them, but the vampire stops in his tracks as a ray of sunlight hits the ground, "Clary, what happened?"

"We thought we found Valentine, but he was already gone." She answers, panicked. Both of them quickly set Jace down in a booth and Luke's entire face changes as he catches sight of Michael.

"Michael Wayland?" His voice changes to one of shock.

"Valentine took my mother with him, " Clary explains, "but we found Jace's father."

"What?!" Simon sputters out, "I thought Valentine killed Jace's father."

"He tried." Michael rolls his eyes, "Hello, Lucian."

"This can't be." Luke looks like he's seen a ghost — well, an alive ghost, technically, "I thought I'd never see you again."

"I never thought I'd see anyone again." Michael smiles.

Luke's face changes as he catches sight of Jace, ""What happened?"

"Ravener demon got him, " Maya sighs, folding her arms over her chest, "The venom spread and my magic couldn't heal him. But if we take him to the Institute, they'll crucify all of us."

"Simon." Clary runs up to her friend, suddenly overcome with an idea, "Simon, there's gotta be some kind of blood at Hotel DuMort. Please, could you call Raphael and can you ask him?"

"Can you get some water?" Michael sighs, looking at Luke.

"I'll get some." The werewolf walks out.

"Calling won't work." Simon sighs, "We have to do this in person. My van is in the garage. You drive, I'll hide under a blanket to stay out of the sun, and there's underground parking in the hotel. Maya, " His gaze snaps to her, "You need to help us negotiate with Raphael."

"Me?!" Maya sputters, "Why?"

"He asked for you when you were gone." Simon rolls his eyes. "Your presence might help our case."

"But you're the vampire!" She sputters out, "Wouldn't he listen to you more?"

"Look, we don't have time, " Michael snaps, interrupting them, "Jace is getting weaker. You need to hurry."

"Alright, " Clary sighs. She walks up to Jace and combs back his hair from his forehead, "Jace, listen to me. I'm coming back. Please, just hang on."

"Clary?" He asks, weakly.

"I'll be back soon, " Clary sighs, "Simon, Maya, let's go."

"If you die on me, I'll make sure your hair's green at your funeral." Maya mutters to Jace under her breath as Clary pulls her out the door.