Chapter Four

𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟓

ARJUN CAN BARELY SEE THE ROAD ahead of him.

The fog is stagnant, unnaturally thick, and white in the way that it covers the path. The smell of Chinese takeout wafts toward his nose, enticing an angry growl from his stomach, which hasn't eaten anything since an incredibly unsatisfying lunch. It's that time of the month for his wife, the time where everything and anything irritates her.

She may be a foot shorter than him, but she's terrifying when she wants to be.

To "appease the beast", as Arjun would normally put it, he's bringing over some takeout from their favorite Chinese place. Moo-shu pork and fried rice for him, stir-fried tofu and pineapple fried rice for his wife, and bao buns - four filled with stir-fried tofu and vegetables, two filled with custard, for Maya, who is also vegetarian, like her mother.

He hasn't seen much of his family of late - the Auror office has been keeping him busy in that regard. Voldemort's men are rising up in large numbers, determined to avenge their fallen leader in a way unlike anything he's ever seen before. It's almost like they're waiting for him to come back, even though it's very clear that he's gone....right?

The Shadow World isn't all that quiet either. Nandini's expression of late has been grave, tense, like she's bound to break any second. He knows that she's still in contact with Maryse Lightwood, and therefore, is informed of the sudden hub of activity in New York. Previously dormant areas are now filled with vampire haunts, seelie drug clubs and god knows how many more dens of iniquity. It makes him nervous, this sudden rise in danger, afraid for more to come.

He tries not to think about the fact that his wife and daughter are alone at home.

What does it mean, all of these signs? The Order hasn't found anything yet - they've been so useless lately that he wonders why he even joined in the first place. Something dark is starting to brew around them - that much he knows.

And Arjun can't help but wonder if it's centered around the three of them.

A figure suddenly darts in front of his car, forcing him to make an abrupt stop. He's thrown forward in his seat, immediately hissing as his head smacks against the dashboard.

"Who the frick-"

You can say "fuck", Maya isn't here, his brain reminds him, but he ignores it.

Arjun's head snaps back up, face twisted into one of pure irritation, a bruise already starting to form on the place where he hit his head.

Oh come on.

"Bloody hell, are you blind-"

There's no one in front of him.

Fear suddenly takes over Arjun's body, as the same blur runs across the road one more time, too fast to give him a clear image. His knuckles turn white as he grips the steering wheel, heart thundering in his chest.

At last, they've cornered him.

He doesn't see the headlights of the truck until it's too late.

𝐎𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟒

SHE WAKES UP AS SOON AS THE CAR HITS THE TREE.

Maya bolts upright in bed, her head slamming against the headboard with unintended force. She immediately hisses, body curling into an almost-fetal position.