Chapter Nineteen

TW: major dark themes, elements of satanism (demonic ritual), kidnapping, moderate torture (not graphic) major character death. the death eaters try to raise a demon, and there's a lot of violence in this chapter. subtle threats of sexual assault. to summarize, this is the part of the story where everything turns around and begins to pick up speed. it's incredibly pivotal, but also very dark, and i understand if you don't want to read further. if you're triggered by anything in this chapter, don't read it. i'll write a summary of the events at the end in case you don't want to miss out on the events.

𝕵𝐮𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟓

THE DAYS LEADING UP TO THE THIRD TASK ARE somewhat peaceful yet chaotic in Maya's eyes.

Ron, Hermione and her are supposed to be studying for their exams, since they finish on the very day the final task commences. It's one of the worst setups imaginable — teaching Harry defensive spells and hexes alongside reviewing History Of Magic, which makes her head spin with how boring it is. But at the same time, it feels like the tension has ceased, thanks to Diana's absolutely brilliant work, exposing Romilda for who she really is. She's able to concentrate more on her studies than she was before, the degrading taunts and insults no longer taking up most of her mental energy.

The world around her seems to be brighter than before. Maya's ability to find joy in simple things has returned, such as the way the faint golden-brown tones in her skin are brought out in the vibrant sunshine that decorates the grounds of Hogwarts. The grass on the lawn seems to smell a bit sweeter, the musty smell of the library feeling a bit more familiar. It's ironic, she supposes, considering that she'll be back home in less than two weeks, but Maya can't help but feel that she's going to miss the castle during the summer.

She's made plans with Diana, having her over in New York for the last two weeks of summer, since that's the only time the Hufflepuff could convince her parents to let her leave the Manor. A part of her is very worried to leave Diana alone with her parents. Something about their behavior just doesn't sit right with her, this whole thing of 'disowning' someone like that just because they didn't fit your expectations.

If they were willing to disgrace their own daughter like that in public, who knows what they could do in private?

Nevertheless, the morning of June-twenty-fourth arrives sooner than expected. The champion's families have come to visit them, the Weasleys showing up in place of Harry's aunt and uncle, the Dursleys. They don't sound nice, from what he's told her and Diana, so it's probably a good thing that they never bothered to show up. Mrs. Weasley, however, eyes Hermione and Maya a bit testily, tone considerably stiffer than it was last summer. However, she becomes considerably warmer towards them when Harry explains the situation to her, that it was all just a cock-up by Rita Skeeter and how neither of them are — or were ever — his girlfriends.

Speaking of Rita Skeeter, the morning paper is filled with another vile article penned in her hand. Titled "Harry Potter Disturbed & Dangerous", it's yet another smear campaign, determined to paint her friend as an unstable,attention-seeking lunatic who just lives for the spotlight. Featured in it, to her surprise — in all honesty, Maya can't believe that she didn't anticipate this — is a quote from none other than the fanciful Draco Malfoy. He just had to put in a word, to make his dislike of Harry known, as if it isn't already a common topic of conversation with their friends. He's parroted the same things written in the article — which makes her question why she even trusts him in the first place.

Then again, when has Maya ever been good with her emotions?

Anyway, the Great Hall bustles with chatter at the evening feast. Ludo Bagman and Cornelius Fudge have joined the staff table now. Bagman looks quite cheerful, but Cornelius Fudge, who's sitting next to Madame Maxime, looks stern and is not talking. Madame Maxime, however, concentrates on her plate, and her eyes suspiciously red. Hagrid keeps glancing along the table at her.