| 64 | A Long-Awaited Call

Beginne am Anfang

Sebastien nodded and exhaled deeply. "Jackson attacked Heir Zephyr."

Clementine frowned. "Uh-oh. What happened?"

He huffed and shrugged. "It was stupid. We were leading an Amarok into a pit of cadejo and Jackson's stupid friend fell in."

"Wilson?"

"Yeah, but he's all right. Jackson thought he was dead and blamed Heir Zephyr, so he broke his leg."

"Uh..." he drawled. "That's.... Did Raphael tell Alucard or Zalith yet?"

"He's probably doing it right now," he grumbled.

Clementine looked worried. "Well...they wouldn't sentence him or anything, right? Isn't he supposed to be the answer to all this cadejo stuff?"

He scratched the side of his face. "Yeah, but I don't know. The bosses take this shit really seriously. If it was just a punch then maybe he'd get away with doing some time, but he broke his leg, blood and everything."

"Blood...yeah, he's kinda fucked, then. Didn't that guy who broke Zacaeus' nose get like thirty years in Daevor?"

"Tch, yeah," Sebastien muttered. "If he'd just broken his leg then he might've been fine, but he drew blood." He knew that he was going to have to fill out a report on this; the last thing he wanted was to play a part in damning someone who might just be the key to stopping the cadejo virus, but there were demon laws, and he had to abide by them.

After a few moments of silence, Clementine sighed quietly. "When are you going to join me here?"

Despondency banished Sebastien's aggravation. "I don't know. I'm stuck here until we find this lab up in Greykin Valley, and after that, well...I haven't been given any other assignments, so maybe Lord Caedis will let me take some time off."

"You should probably ask him ahead of time; for all you know, he could be planning your next big adventure this very moment," he laughed.

Sebastien rolled his eyes. "Remind me to never sell my soul again."

Clementine frowned but still had an amused smirk on his face. "Well, I mean...you can't. You only have one."

"Had," he mumbled. "But I don't regret it," he said, replacing his frown with a smile as he gazed at Clementine's beautiful face.

"I don't know, it kinda sounds like you do," Clementine teased.

He scoffed at him and smirked. "You're lucky you're nine hundred miles away right now or I'd be making you eat those words of yours," he threatened with a sultry tone.

"I'd love to see you try."

Sebastien smiled and then exhaled through his nose. "I'm glad you're okay. I was worried something happened with the plane or when you landed. I wish I could just...hold you."

"I'm glad you're okay, too," Clementine said quietly. "I miss you already. I wish you could just...portal over here for a sec and then go back. No one would know."

"They'd know," he said disappointedly. "They've got people monitoring the mirror realm and the phasing space. If I enter either of those places without permission, I'll get my ass handed to me."

Clementine pouted and scowled. "Your contract sucks, Sebastien."

"You're telling me? I feel so stupid every time I think about the fact that I never read it properly."

"Yeah, that was pretty dumb."

"Hey, I saved your life."

Clementine chuckled. "I know, and I'm grateful. And at least Alucard isn't a total dick. He could be treating you like a slave, but he isn't."