The calm before the storm

Seraphina was sitting on the rooftop, the light afternoon breeze gently caressing her cheeks. She just finished playing another round of Floppy Pig breaking John's record with ease yet again. She couldn't wait to brag about it to him. He always made such funny expressions. It was truly delightful.

A stronger wind swept across the rooftop lifting and twisting her hair into a tangled mess. How annoying, she thought, and started to straighten out her extensions once more. While the unusually strong gusts appearing ever so often posed a slight inconvenience, it was still better to be up here than down there surrounded by all those people.

Those people who didn't see her as one of them. Not a person, not even human. Just a goddess, a high-tier, a role model appointed by society. A role she truly despised.

It was all in the past though, she reminded herself. While she was alone right now she wasn't lonely anymore. She had one true companion, someone she could call her friend. A friend who saw her for who she was with all her good qualities and flaws. For all her alluring features and faults. Not the ones pushed onto her by the hierarchy or the expectations of others she didn't even know or care about.

Yes, she wasn't without fault, had many shortcomings especially when it came to social interaction which wasn't a surprise considering her years of isolation. She was well aware of that, but it was different to put her on a pedestal and expect perfection and then get disappointed by her when she couldn't live up to the unrealistic standards, and to be annoyed by her long shopping sprees.

That reminded her she should visit the mall this weekend and get some new clothes. She smirked to herself.

"John will be thrilled."

Speaking of the devil the door leading to the rooftop flung open revealing a familiar figure.

"Hey, Sera!" He greeted her with that usual friendly smile of his, one arm adorning a cast while the other one was balancing a tray full of food. He raised an eyebrow seeing her without one. "Where is your lunch?"

"Wasn't in the mood," came her swift answer.

He frowned at her.

"Don't tell me you're on a diet or something."

"Do you think I would need it?" She shot him a glare challengingly.

He panicked for a second only to roll his eyes a moment later when he saw a smirk stretch across her face.

"Ha ha, very funny. You know you don't need one. Despite lazing around most of the time you're always in shape."

"One, I'm not lazy. I'm just too fast for you to see me move, but I still have to move while using my ability."

"Then what's the point of using your ability? Don't you age faster like this?"

Ignoring his remark she continued.

"Two, I'm still nowhere near your fitness. You exercise like a madman."

"I kind of have to. It's not like I can train my ability and I have to survive somehow."

"Or you know, you could just stick with me all day and not go headfirst into fights. I always appreciate the company." She meant only his company though. She definitely didn't want the gossip mill or the other high tiers around. Remi was nice, but she always had the guys with her which made her presence much less tolerable. She had to suppress a groan just thinking about the other high tiers. No thanks.

Her eyes then wandered to his freshly injured arm. "Speaking of fights, where did you get that one?"

John stared at her flatly. "In the cafeteria?"