John 1:30-34: This is The Son of God

A study of John 1:30-34

"This is he of whom I said, 'After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me.' I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel." And John bore witness: "I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.""

‭‭John‬ ‭1‬:‭30‬-‭34‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Definitions of the original language in the context of this passage:

-Ranks Before (A Higher Rank Than): "emprosthen", "ἔμπροσθεν"; adverb - before, denoting rank.

-He Was (He Existed): "eimi", "εἰμί"; verb - to be, to exist, to happen, to be present.

Know (Recognize): "eidō", "εἴδω"; verb - to know: with the accusative (having to do with the direct object) of person.

-He Might Be Revealed (Manifested): "phaneroō", "φανερόω"; verb - to become known, to be plainly recognized, thoroughly understood: who and what one is.

-Israel: "Israēl", "Ἰσραήλ"; adjective - Israel = "he shall be prince of God." The family or descendants of Israel, the nation of Israel.

-I Saw: "theaomai", "θεάομαι"; verb - to behold, look upon, view attentively, contemplate; of august things and persons that are looked upon with admiration.

-Spirit: "pneuma", "πνεῦμα"; neuter noun - the Holy Spirit

-From (Out Of): "ek", "ἐκ"; preposition - universally, of the place from which; from a surrounding or enclosing place, from the interior of.

-Heaven: "ouranos", "οὐρανός"; masculine noun - the aerial heavens or sky, the region where the clouds and tempests gather, and where thunder and lightning are produced: These heavens are opened by being cleft asunder, and from the upper heavens, or abode of heavenly beings, come down upon earth — now the Holy Spirit.

-Remained: "menō", "μένω"; verb - not to depart, not to leave, to continue to be present; to put forth constant influence upon one, of the Holy Spirit.

Observation/Summary(short explanation of what the passage says in your own words):

From verse 29 of this chapter, when John the Baptist (JB) saw Jesus walking towards him, likely after His 40 days of temptation in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-17), JB proclaimed Him to be the "Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world." In this passage JB continues by recalling previous statements of his where he said someone would come after him who ranked before him, because He "was" or in other words, "existed" before him. JB did not know who He would be, but JB was sent by God to baptize people with water so that this coming One would be revealed to the people of Israel.

JB then testified that when he baptized Jesus with water, he saw the Holy Spirit descend from heaven like a dove and remain on Jesus (Matthew 3:13-17). Again, JB says he did not know who the One he was sent by God to prepare the people to receive would be, but that God told him the One he was sent to declare would be revealed in exactly this way. This is the One who would bring a baptism not of water, but of the Holy Spirit. Because of this confirmation JB then declares Jesus is the "Son of God."

Implication (what does this mean to us):

JB says these words after having just declared Jesus to be the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. Previous to this JB had baptized Jesus with water and seen something incredible which he will now testify of to everyone. Before doing so JB reminds everyone of something he had been telling them for a while and something we have already read twice in verses 15 and 27 of this chapter which is that there was someone coming who ranked higher than him because He (Jesus) had existed before him (JB). JB was actually born before Jesus, so what JB is referring to is the eternally preexistent nature of Jesus as the God of the universe. JB came to prepare the people for the coming of Jesus. This was the purpose of his ministry and now the time to announce His arrival had come.