Chapter Sixteen

After a few days had passed, the expected approval arrived in the mail.
Dusty stared down at the papers that Maru had spread out on the table in his workshop.
"Well, you're official," Maru said playfully.
      "Wow," Dusty uttered, still unable to believe what was happening.
'Of all the things that have happened, I never saw this coming.'
"Well done, Champ," Blade praised.
      "...Th-Thank you."
      "How does it feel to see your accomplishment in print?" Maru prompted as he filed the papers into a folder.
      "I...Don't really know, to be honest," Dusty laughed dryly.
      "Hey, as much as you are doing me one of the greatest favors I could ask for, you earned this position all the way through," Blade stated firmly.
Dusty sighed before taking on a soft smile.
      The sound of an engine pulling up to the base echoed from outside, Maru pausing what he was doing to peer out of his workshop.
      Dusty and Blade joined him, watching as Ol' Jammer drove up to the runway.
      'Oh boy...'
      Dusty wasn't sure what to expect as they began to approach the waiting tour bus.
"Good afternoon! I hope you've all been well
since we spoke last," Jammer greeted with a friendly smile.
      "I hope the same for you. What brings you out here today?" Blade asked, returning a slight smile.
      Dusty was glad Blade was still handling the talking since he didn't have much involvement in the exchanges between the former chief and Jammer before coming back to help.
      "I just wanted to invite the team to the lodge's anniversary party tonight. It's from 5—10. You don't have to come of course, but I thought I'd put it out there," Jammer explained.
      When Blade didn't answer, Dusty turned to look at him in confusion.
      Before the silence could drag on awkwardly, Maru joined in on the conversation.
      "Ha, ain't that perfect! We can celebrate Dusty's new chief position and take a nice mental break!" he exclaimed.
      "New chief position? When did this happen?" Jammer questioned with surprise, shifting his curious gaze to Dusty.
      "The official approval actually just arrived earlier today!" Maru replied enthusiastically.
      "Well, congratulations! But what about Blade?"
      "Blade's...Stepping down to retirement," Maru answered a bit quietly.
      "Ahhh, I see. Well, he has served many honorable years in this park," Jammer uttered respectfully.
      "I have appreciated your support to the end," Blade said gratefully.
"Most certainly. I'm afraid I only have a few more minutes here before I'll be needed back around the lodge, so I'd just like to say that I look forward to seeing everyone at the party!" Jammer stated brightly, starting up his engine.
Blade nodded, giving a faint smile.
      Dusty watched as the tour bus drove off back where he came from before turning to Blade.
      "...So are we...?" he trailed off, wanting to know what exactly the plan was for the night.
"This might provide us with the perfect opportunity," Blade muttered thoughtfully.
"What do you mean?" Dusty asked curiously.
Maru had also turned to eye Blade.
"To find out what current job position Cad has at the lodge, and to catch him before he somehow manages to get back into his old position that he used to make our lives miserable us with," Blade explained.
"You mean like...Asking around for him...?"
"Exactly. I'm sure he's been laying low for now since he knows we're all still here, but someone's bound to know where he is."
"What are we actually gonna do when we find out where he is?"
"Let's...Just start from there for now," Blade sighed, shifting his gaze to the ground in deep thought.
Dusty nodded.
"Maybe we should just scare Cad away," Maru suggested playfully.
"Heh, sounds a lot easier, too," Dusty chuckled.
"Tempting..." Blade smiled with amusement.
"Well, I need to go finish filing papers. I'll see you two around!" Maru exclaimed as he turned back towards his workshop.
"Alright, and I'll be in my hangar if I'm needed," Blade stated, rolling off as well.
Dusty headed for his own hangar, deciding it was finally time to update Dottie and everyone else at home on the large change he had been thrown into over the time he'd been spending with the fire and rescue team.
      He powered on the radio, breathing in deeply before beginning to speak.
      "Dottie? You there?"
      "Oh! Dusty! How's everything going over there? We haven't heard from you in a little bit—you've been there a while now, haven't you?"
      "Hey! Things have been going fine. They've been keeping me busy over here, so I haven't had much time to jump on, haha...But yeah, I'm still not too sure when I'll be back..."
      "Well, it sounds like nothing's been too out of control for you guys to handle, so I'm glad! I do hope you'll be back soon. We really miss you, Dusty."
      Dusty felt an immediate stab of guilt. He knew he couldn't let Blade down, but he realized he was practically abandoning his friends at home.
      I seriously don't know what I should be doing anymore.
      "Yeah, I miss you guys a lot, too...By the way, Dottie, there's something really important I have to tell you guys, but I think it's best if everyone is together to hear it."
      "Oh really? I can go round them up right now."
      "That sounds great, Thanks a lot."
(i'm finally back from my hiatus 🥹 idk why this chapter was so difficult to write—i actually added to it throughout the entire day 😩 anyways, i really hope it at least turned good! thank you so much for all of your patience! 😌❤️)