Chapter Ten

Once it stopped raining, which wasn't until around two hours later, most of the firefighters had gathered back outside.
      Dusty joined them, approaching Cabbie and Maru.
      Apparently there had also been some wind as Dynamite and Dipper had gone off to check the small potted plants they'd had sitting out.
      "That rain was random, no?" Maru muttered, eying Cabbie.
      "Eh."
      "I haven't seen Blade since he talked to me about the whole...Leadership thing..He isn't mad I still haven't decided, is he?" Dusty asked nervously.
      "Of course not! I just told him to rest today. Remember, you don't have to feel pressured. Whatever decision is your decision," Maru assured.
      "...Thanks..." Dusty muttered.
      "You think Jammer's been learning anything new?" Cabbie questioned, turning to Maru.
      "Nah, you know how our luck is."
      "Is it the animal poaching?" Dusty asked.
      "Animal...What?" Cabbie uttered, puzzled.
      "Animal poaching? Where did you hear that?" Maru exclaimed, raising a brow.
      "Uh..Blade told me.. actually," Dusty muttered, confused.
      "I thought he would've told Dusty already after telling him about retiring," Cabbie implied.
      "He might've thought it was too much information for Dusty to take in at once," Maru reasoned.
      "I suppose that makes sense."
       "Wait..So...Was Blade supposed to tell me something else that was important?" Dusty asked warily.
I hope it's nothing real bad, but it sounds like something big if Blade wanted to save it for another time...
      "Yeah..Well, now that you know that I might as well tell you. I'm pretty sure Blade would've told me to wait if he really thought it would be that much for you," Maru answered.
      "So what did he want me to know..?"
      "Alrighty...Well...to start briefly, Cad is back at the lodge," Maru started.
      "...What? Are you serious?"
Of course, right?
       "Well it turns out a lot of different employees left over the years and there's also been a new manager. It's pretty much run by completely different staff now. Unfortunately the manager doesn't seem to be aware of Cad's lovely reputation and hired him. He might not have the same job position anymore, but who knows what will happen. We don't really know anything more than that. We've been trying figure out who his manager is without him catching onto us," Maru explained.
       "That park ranger Jammer has been helping us keep an eye out for the manager," Cabbie added in.
      "Why not just ask if you could see the manager?" Dusty asked.
      "That doesn't sound a little weird that we would want to see the manager for no explainable reason?" Maru pointed out.
       "Oh, that make sense.." Dusty mumbled with embarrassment.
       "Eh, it's all been a complete mess. We just need to figure out what the heck's going on and keep an eye on Cad," Maru sighed.
      "I understand that."
      "Hate that guy," Cabbie grumbled.
      "Ah, yes..." Maru agreed.
      Windlifter and the other Smoke Jumpers rolled out onto the base runway, observing all of the drenched nature around them.
      "FREE SWIMMING POOL!" Avalanche shouted, racing for the nearest and largest puddle.
      Pinecone quickly cut off his path.
      "Maybe you shouldn't do that, buddy."
      "I'll build ya a better pool!" Maru shouted to the two.
      "You should fill the pool with fire retardant!" Drip exclaimed excitedly.
      "FIRE RETARDANT!!"
      "Yeah, sorry guys but I'm gonna have to turn that part down," Maru sighed with a faint laugh.
      "Awww.."
      Dipper and Dynamite returned after checking on the plants, both rolling up to Dusty, Maru and Cabbie.
      "Your plants all good?" Maru asked them curiously.
      "Yup!" Dipper replied.
      "What in the world are those two doing?" Dynamite questioned, her gaze fixed on Avalanche who was once again attempting to get past Pinecone to "swim" in the puddle.
      "Avalanche wants himself a swimming pool now," Maru explained, grinning lightly.
      "Look guys, he will end up in that puddle whether you like it or not," Dynamite sighed, shaking her front lightheartedly.
      "Too true," Dusty laughed.
      "Wasn't he just trying to shelter himself in my hangar from the rain and now he wants to swim in a puddle?" Cabbie snorted.
      "I'm not surprised," Dynamite stated.
      "Speaking of rain, it looks like it might rain again real soon," Maru remarked, glancing up at the sky.
      "Yeah, it's looking a bit darker again," Dynamite agreed.
      The fire alarm suddenly sounded, causing Dusty to jolt.
      Even Dipper jumped slightly.
      "Alright y'all, let's load up!" Dynamite called, driving off and gathering up the other Smoke Jumpers.
      "Is Windlifter in charge since Blade's resting?" Dusty asked Maru as he followed him out to make the usual preparations.
      "Actually, this time you are," Maru replied.
      "...Wh–What?" Dusty exclaimed with disbelief.
      "Blade wants you to give it a try—You can do it, Lucky," Maru encouraged with a grin.
      "A-Ah..I...I don't even know how to give orders..!"
      "Just try your best. As long as everyone functionally puts the fire out it's all good, eh?"
      Dusty tried to keep himself from panicking.
Well I can't wait to embarrass myself.