Chapter Four

"Um...Dusty?"
"Something's in there..."
"Dusty, are you okay?"

      Dusty turned around to face Dipper, and he realized the fire alarm had been sounding.
Did I just zone out? How long did I zone out for?
"O-Oh yeah! I'm fine!" Dusty replied quickly.
"We better get going before Blade catches us doing nothing!" Dipper exclaimed, rushing back off to the other firefighters.
Dusty followed, glancing around.

      He still felt like he was in a slight daze, but it soon wore off once he was in the air.
      "The cabins are less expensive than the lodge, right?" Dusty heard Cabbie ask Dipper on their way to the location of the fire.
"I think that's right!" Dipper replied.
"Some of my family want to come up and see me next month. It would be good to let them know the best options, whether they want to save money or something," Cabbie explained.
      "You could ask at the front for confirmation!"
      "I will."

      Dusty glanced over at Windlifter, who eyed him.
A few seconds passed before Dusty looked away.
Why was that so awkward?

When they reached the fire, Blade began to give orders.
I must've gotten weirder than when they last saw me.
"Dipper, take care of that strand of fire before it reaches the herd. Cabbie, send the Smokejumpers out to push back the herd if Dipper has any trouble," Blade commanded.
"You got it!"
"Copy that."
"Windlifter, you take care of the strand over by that rock formation. Me and Dusty will take care of the rest," Blade finished.
"Understood."
Dusty swallowed anxiously.
Please don't do anything stupid!

The firefighters separated quickly, and Dusty flew alongside Blade.

"I'll deal with the left side, you take the right," Blade ordered, heading for his side of the fire.
"Got it!" Dusty shouted, doing as told.
The fire went out smoothly, and so did Blade's.
so far so good..
      "Dusty," Blade called.
      "Yes?"
      "...Nevermind. Go ahead and take out that fire that split off."
Dusty took off towards said part of fire and put it out easily.
"All taken care of!"
"Good work."

Blade and Dusty met back up with the others at the main fire and watched.
Windlifter had already succeeded, but Dipper was appearing to struggle.
The stubborn flames refused to go out as she dropped the last of her retardant onto it.
"I'm gonna have to refill at the lake!" she exclaimed, heading for said location.
Cabbie released the smokejumpers, which began to push back the herd of green tractors as commanded.
Dusty watched them curiously as he banked around.
I remember seeing the Smokejumpers in action when I came here for the first time.
I also remember getting covered in retardant. that was an embarrassing first impression.
He chuckled when one of the bucks charged Drip with its antlers, scaring him off into the opposite direction.
"HE'S GONNA KILL ME!"
      "Drip! Get back over here!" Dynamite chided.
      Avalanche pretended to roar loudly at some of the tractors, which took off frightfully.
      "Do what Avalanche is doing!"
"No way! Only he has a loud enough voice for that!"
"Don't be such a wuss!"
      Drip eventually returned to finish the job, probably deciding Dynamite's temper was scarier than being charged by pointy antlers.
Oh no..!!
"Dynamite, watch out for that tree!" Dusty called with alarm.
      Dynamite looked confused, and so did the rest of the team, but right after Dusty warned them, a tree came crashing down, barely missing Dynamite's front as she reversed out of the way just in time.
Dusty breathed a sigh of great relief.
He glanced around at the other firefighters who all stared at him with puzzled expressions.
Why are they all looking at me like that?
      "Good job, Dusty," Blade praised.
      "How's it going, guys?" Dipper questioned as she pulled up next to Blade, having returned from the lake.
      "Good. We got the herd out of the way but we need you to handle that fire," Blade answered.
      "I got it!"

      After the last of the fire was dealt with, the team headed back for base.
      Maru was there to greet the bunch as usual, with Patch by his side.
      It surprised Dusty to see the red forklift suddenly being out and about so often.
      When Dusty landed, Dynamite rolled up to him.
      "Thank you for that warning back there, Dusty. I'm pretty sure you just saved my life," she stated with a grateful smile.
"Of course, I'm so glad your okay!" Dusty exclaimed.
"Yeah, man! None of us saw that tree coming!" Drip shouted.
"You must have really good eyes!" Pinecone marveled.
"I-I guess so," Dusty stuttered.
But how did I know? I don't remember seeing the tree move at all...
Windlifter rolled by, his dark eyes trained on Dusty.
There are a lot of strange things going on here...

(i went on a little bit of a hiatus but i'm back! it's funny, because as i'm writing these, i like to sit in the bed of my truck, and because i live behind a private airport, there are always small planes like cessnas and stuff flying right over head 😂. they're so cute. anyway, i hope short chapters don't bother y'all too much. i'm really busy but i try to update whenever i can get to it! thank you for sticking around!✌️)