"Yep." I nodded.

"(Y/n) I wasn't born yesterday, I know when someone just went through a break-up. What happened sweetheart?"

"It's..." I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Eddie and I, we broke up. I mean, I broke up with him." And here we go, the waterworks. I tried wiping away my tears before they streamed down my face.

"Oh, honey." My mom got up and hugged me. She held me tight in her arms. I gave in, I hugged her back just as tight. It's been a while since I've hugged my mom like him. The last time she hugged me like this was when I lost my pet dog, Copper. I was a huge fan of the Disney cartoon Fox & the Hound growing up, and I named my dog after the dog Copper from the cartoon.

"I loved him," I said quietly.

"I know sweetheart." My mom said rubbing my back.

"I loved him so much."

"Believe me, I know what it's like to have your heart broken. Your father and I broke up once when we were younger." Her revelation surprised me.

"You guys broke up?"

"We did. We were together for about two years, and then we got into this huge argument, I kind of forgot what it was about." She laughed. "It seems so funny now, but back then it wasn't so funny. And I remember telling him that I didn't want to be with him anymore." She said reminiscing.

"What happened? I mean the two of you got back together."

"We didn't at first," she said looking at me, wiping my tears away. "We've been broken up for a year."

"What?" My eyes bugged out of my head.

"Yep." She nodded. "It wasn't the greatest time of my life. I didn't date anyone else at that time. Can't say the same thing about your dad."

"What do you mean? He dated someone else?"

"Yeah, Chrissy Cunningham's mom." She said, sounding a bit bitter.

Damn. "Wow, I didn't know that."

"Yeah, and believe me when I say I wanted to pull her hair out. Of course, she was cheer captain and your dad was on the basketball team."

"Of course," I said rolling my eyes.

"I remember seeing the two of them walking together in the halls holding hands, I was so jealous."

"How did the two of you end up back together?"

"I remember one day at lunch I saw Chrissy's mom talking to her friends and they were laughing about your dad, and how he was a 'shitty basketball player' and that pissed me off. I marched right over to them and said if they ever talked about your dad like that again I would kick her little cheerleading ass."

I couldn't help but laugh. It was kind of like what I was going through now.

"Your dad found out what they've been saying about him behind his back. And he dumped his little cheerleader girlfriend."

"Then you two got back together?"

"Not just yet."

"What?"

"Well, he dumped her, and turns out she didn't care because she was just trying to make her ex-boyfriend jealous and yes, her ex is her husband."

Of course, Chrissy's parents dated back in High School. And of course, Chrissy's mom would do something like that.

"It's like history repeats itself," I said mostly to myself.

"After another week of being broken up, your dad asked me to be his girlfriend again and I said yes. And then years later we got married and had you. The end."

"I'm glad you two made up Mom," I said hugging her.

"Me too." She laughed.

After talking to her for another hour in the kitchen my dad walked in and I asked him why my mom broke up with him. I guess the argument was about how he didn't want to go to dinner at my grandparents' house because he didn't like them. My mom was pissed because they were her parents. I don't blame him though, my mom's parents were kind of stuck up and uppity. I'm thankful my mom didn't end up like them. And it did take her a bit to realize her parents didn't like my dad, so she told her parents that they were getting married.

She hasn't spoken to her parents in years. I met them a few times when I was younger, but I didn't think they were very nice. I prefer my dad's parents, they were the grandparents I loved spending time with.

My parents talked about how they met in school and fell in love instantly. And it made me think of Eddie. I fell for Eddie back in Middle School, but he didn't know. And now I want him back, but I can't.