───※ ·42· ※───

Start from the beginning

"Toyosi is a good candidate," Stella reasoned.

"I heard Danielle from their class is equally good." Stella frowned at the fact that Elue's opinions were challenging hers.

"I didn't ask you, did I?" Stella turned to her.

"Not again," I heard Omolara mutter.

"Stella," Chuks said, placing his hand on her shoulder to stop her from saying any words. At that moment, the alarm sounded, and students began getting up from their tables to head for the exit.

"Let's get to class," I said, grabbing my tray and helping Nsikan with hers. It started as a fun chat until it turned sour because Stella still didn't like Elue.

───※ ·❆· ※───

I got home, and the first thing I did after giving Chisom my backpack to help keep in my room was to go upstairs to my mother's room. She was too weak this morning to go to work. I didn't want to go to school today, but Miss. Simbi had told me that the workers around would help take care of her.

I got into my mother's bedroom to see her sitting and resting her back against the headboard. I sighed, walking into the room. She looked so frail that I couldn't help but worry.

"How are you feeling, mum?" I asked, masking my emotion so it wouldn't look like I was worrying much. Once she sensed that, it would get her to worry which wasn't good for her health.

"I'm fine, darling," she said, then turned to Miss. Simbi and said, "Help tell Chisom to get my coffee."

"Yes, ma," Miss. Simbi nodded and left the room to do what Mother had asked.

Mother turned to me. "How's school?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary happened," I said to her. I saw the pile of papers on her bedside table. She wasn't able to go to work today again.

"Miss. Simbi told me not to go to work today and just rest," Mother grumbled. "Can you believe her?"

"I can't," I said honestly. "Because you're meant to be in the hospital but not for work."

Mother sent me a 'not this again' look before the door opened and Chisom walked in with her regular coffee.

"Thank you, dear," Mother said to her. Chisom turned to me. "Do you need anything, sir?

"I'm fine,"

"I can prepare your—"

"I said I'm fine." I turned to her. She was demanding these past few days. Her expression fell as she walked out of the room.

"That girl is trying; be nice to her." I turned to my mother and sighed. I sat at the edge of her bed as I watched her drink her coffee. "I heard you've been getting another guest that isn't Muller and Thompson. A girl, if I'm correct. Chisom told me."

I tensed up a bit. "I'm just tutoring her."

"Damian," Mother said, gently placing the half-filled cup on her bedside table. "Did I tell you your dad and I have liked each other since secondary school? But during our time, our parents were so strict that we had to hide and sneak behind their backs. My friends and I usually have that complaint that our parents won't let us be friends with boys or let us go out but want us to get married in the future."

"Some still think that way," I said to my mother.

"Yeah, I know." She nodded softly. "I've noticed you've changed. You are now...happy."

I smiled, not sure what to say. But I felt the tears welling up in my eyes, and I didn't push them away as I let them stream down my face. Mother moved closer to me and wrapped her arms around me. "When next she comes, let me see her. You're growing, and I should start accepting that you're slowly becoming an adult."

"Of course I am," I said to her. "I'd be at the university next year."

"And you'd eventually take over your father's legacy." I nodded at her words. At first, I was scared of that because of how my father ended, but now I see myself accepting that position.

"Now go," Mother shooed, moving back and lying on her bed. "I'm feeling sleepy."

"I'll check up on you later," I announced before leaving the room.

My phone rang after that, and I looked at the caller ID before picking up. "Hey man, what's up?"

"Fine, this one that you answered in one ring," Joshua answered.

"I was with my phone; that's why," I said to him.

"How's mumsy?" He questioned.

"She's fine," I responded, looking at my mother's door. "Hanging in there."

"It will get better," he sighed. "So here's why I called. Remember you asked me about the information, and I said it was from someone who used a VPN and changed their location to France?"

"Yes," I responded. "We all decided to put it behind us. We know the culprit already."

"Oh, I guess my hard work was in vain then."

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"The person must have used a quack app because it didn't hide much. I was finally able to trace the IP address and track down the ISP of the user." Now I was interested. "We got some information, like from social media and a face, based on recent entries."

"So..." I trailed.

"Since I've done most of the work, I just have to send the pictures to you. Go on WhatsApp and I'll send it to you once this call ends."

"I'm scared of you," I admitted, and he laughed at that before ending the call. I went on WhatsApp the same time Joshua sent me a picture. It loaded at once, and I clicked on it to look at the image. It was an image of Chloe, Queen, and Elue. I creased my brows when another message came from Joshua, which read, 'Sorry, I sent you a group picture'.

Another picture came in, and once it loaded, I couldn't help the small gasp that had escaped my lips.

Me

Are you sure this is right?
- 6:40 pm

Joshua

Don't you trust me again? You suppose dey call me uncle Joshua. A first-class computer science student like myself, I'm the best of the best; forget. That's your informant.
- 6:41 pm

I looked at the image once more, and I wasn't sure what to think about this new information because it made no sense.

"Elue."

───※ ·❆· ※───

I updated on time✨

What do you think about this chapter and the reveal at the end?

Are we like 90% into MIX and MAX?

Till next time... Might update before Friday, but let's see🤔