───※ ·42· ※───

ابدأ من البداية

"We should talk about what's happening next week," Thompson said.

I nodded. It was the handing over of the prefectship position to the Ss2 students, which was the norm around Greenville High School and probably other schools around, so the Ss3 students would focus more on their upcoming exams.

"Why should we talk about it?" Muller questioned. "I'm ready to get this position pulled off of my shoulders. Who do you think would be given the position of head boy?"

"My money's on Sadiq, or probably Krystian," Thompson said.

"More like Krystian for Sport prefects," Muller shook his head.

"Romeo got a better chance to be sports prefect," Thompson argued. "Krystian or Sadiq would be head boy."

"Let's bet on it," I said, looking at both my friends. They both stared at me in shock. "What?"

"You want to bet?" Muller asked in disbelief.

I nodded slowly. "Is something wrong?"

"No," he said, shaking his head. "You sounded fun."

Thompson nodded, agreeing with Muller. "We like this version more."

I couldn't help but laugh boldly this time, gaining the attention of a few students. I guess I also like this version of myself more.

───※ ·❆· ※───

We were all seated at a table in the cafeteria. I was beside Nsikan as she kept playing some keyboard games on my phone. I let her do so not because she said her battery was down, but because she had a cute expression whenever she missed a pad and it fell to the wrong tone.

"We made a bet," Muller said, gaining our attention.

"Typical boys move," Chuks said, rolling his eyes.

"Newsflash," Muller turned to him. "You're a boy."

"What's the bet about?" Elue asked, sensing drama. She's been hanging out with us for the past two days, and all we've done was make her feel comfortable. My eyes landed on Stella. Well, most of us.

"You know handing over is next Friday against the WAEC exam the next two weeks," we nodded. "Well, we—Thompson and I—made a bet on who's going to be the head boy and male sports prefect for the upcoming set."

"So what are your candidates?" Stella asked.

"I said Krystian would be the sports prefect and Sadiq for head boy, while Thompson is for Sadiq or Krystian for head boy and Romeo for sports prefect," Muller answered.

"What are you both betting with?" That was something they hadn't concluded with.

"I'll bet my new Nike," Thompson answered.

"Isn't that what you wanted to wear during our ceremony and sending-off party?" Muller asked a hint of regret in his tone. Probably because the bet had put Thompson in a tight spot.

Thompson shrugged in response. "Well, I'll bet my um..." Muller trailed. He had lots of properties and could bet anything. "My HP laptop. Dad got me an apple product."

Now Thompson was smiling. It seemed like a good deal for him.

"Isn't Hymn good to be a sports prefect?" Elue asked me her question.

"Each team at school has somebody good enough to be a sports prefect," I answered.

"What about head girl?" Nsikan asked, making me turn to her with a soft smile on my face. I kind of adored her a lot, and anything about her put me at ease. Especially after that day, she told me it was okay to cry.