~ Chapter Twenty Five: Twice the Beating, Double the Fall ~

With the thumbless man in their custody, Jim and Harvey returned to the GCPD and began the questioning. Jim sat at the other end of the table, twirling a pen between his fingers while Harvey's usual 'bad cop' persona took center stage. "First things first. Most killers leave their prints at the crime scene, but not you, no. You left your whole thumb in the dead guy's mouth!" Harvey shouted. "You got style! I like you, kid," his voice grew low and threatening. "This is your last chance. Once we walk out that door, it's over," Jim warned.

"It was self-defense!" The thumbless man insisted. "Of course it was! Wasn't that what I said, Jim? Didn't I say it was probably self-defense?" Harvey's sarcasm echoed throughout the room. "Talk," Jim gestured for the man to go on. The thumbless man's eyes filled with fear as he thought about what would happen after he left that interrogation room. Unknown to the detectives, Sionis was the type of man who would put a target on your back if you spoke out against him. Eventually, the man told them everything, along with writing out a statement, but only on the condition that Harvey left.

Jim nodded to Harvey, telling him he could handle this. With a quiet sigh, he left the room and informed their Captain on their progress. "Gordon's getting the rest of his statement. Apparently, it was part of the hiring process. Sionis told the top three candidates to fight it out. They weren't supposed to fight to the death," Harvey explained. "This is unbelievable," Essen sunk into her seat. "They all signed confidentiality agreements, so they're accomplices to whatever happens," Harvey added.

"Do we know where the fight was held?" Essen questioned. "Some old office building. The windows were boarded up. And he was taken there blindfolded," Harvey responded. A knock came from the office door, and before Essen could invite them in, Ed entered with his usual grin. "Yes, Ed?" Essen looked over at him. "Printer toner. The medical examiner's report said it was black ink. But I did my own examination, and it was printer toner. Also, I pulled staples from his shoulders and found graphite chips between his ribs. Your man was killed in an office," Ed told them.

"Yeah, we're kind of past that, Ed, but thanks," Harvey spoke, and Ed's face fell almost instantly. "Is there anything else?" Essen inquired. "Yes. It made me think of a case from a year ago. Young man, business suit, esophagus lacerated from index card shoved down his throat. So, I did some digging," Ed continued. "How many other bodies were killed with office supplies?" Essen asked. "Four... in the last three years," Essen turned back to Harvey, ordering him to get their man to sign a confession.

Outside of the office, the three of them were unaware of what was going on. Sionis must've gotten word on what happened because not long after they brought in the thumbless man, an attorney representing Sionis Investments entered the precinct and began badgering Jim on the investigation. "I explained to Detective Gordon, as counsel to Mr. Adams, I'd advised him against speaking further. Also, any statements he has made will be considered having been made under duress," The attorney explained to Harvey and Essen when they joined the conversation.

"Uhuh, and how much is Sionis paying him to take the fall?" Harvey asked. But the attorney said nothing else, only wishing them a good day before leaving. "He showed up before Adams could sign his statements. We got to figure out where Sionis is staging these fights," Jim explained. "I'll run all the buildings he or his company owns in Gotham," Harvey said before returning to his desk to do just that. "Does this make any sense to you?" Essen asked Jim. "No, but how's it any worse than the Goat or the Balloonman?"

Essen was in disbelief, wondering when did this type of extensive crime become normal in Gotham, wondering what changed in the city. "Maybe nothing. Maybe it was always just below the surface. Only needed a spark," Jim reasoned. "Like Thomas and Martha Wayne being killed? I'm not blind, Gordon. I know you're still looking into it. But how could their deaths have caused all this? Why were they so important?" Jim explained that maybe they were killed because of what they represented. A decent and hopeful Gotham. "Whatever it is, it's gone now," Jim told her.