~ Chapter Four: The Wrong Man ~

While the early morning turned into afternoon back at the apartment, Barbara was on her way to the art gallery to double-check the scheduled date for the grand opening. But just as she finished getting ready, she heard a knock at the door. Curiously, she answered it. But the person on the other side was someone she never thought she'd get to see again. It was Montoya. "Renee, long time," Barbara sighed. Montoya nodded her head, asking if she could come in. Barbara moved so she could enter and shut the door behind them.

Barbara stared at the woman's slight pacing. Montoya's eyes were focused and deep in thought about something. Barbara was about to ask her what was on her mind, but Montoya spoke before she had the opportunity. "I'm sorry to drop by unexpectedly like this. How have you been?" she questioned. "I'm good, you?" Barbara spoke bluntly. "All good, I heard you run an art gallery now. And uh... how's Holly? She's twelve now, right?" Barbara nodded, assuring Montoya that Holly was fine, adjusting to the move. "And I got engaged," Barbara adjusted the ring wrapped snugly around her finger.

Montoya looked down at the ground, shaking her head. It was almost like she had something to say about Barbara's impending happiness. And while the truth Montoya was withholding would hurt Barbara in the long run, she cared enough to tell her the truth about the man she would be marrying within the next year. "The GCPD framed Mario Pepper for the murder of the Waynes. They framed and killed an innocent man," She spoke. Barbara's eyes widened with shock; denial was quick to course through her veins. "And you're here to tell me Jim was in on this?" She asked. "Yes," Montoya nodded.

Barbara scoffed, claiming she couldn't make such an accusation without proof or probable cause. And when she asked to see the proof, Montoya said she couldn't tell her, but she was telling the truth. "James Gordon is not a good guy. You and Holly deserve better," Montoya insisted. "James Gordon is the most honest man I've ever met. He's not capable of doing that," Barbara shook her head. While Montoya hoped her former fling would take her words to heart, a part of her knew this would be difficult to convince Barbara. Who could blame her? She spent over a decade with Jim and raised a daughter with him, anyone would've reacted the same way if a dark part about their significant other was revealed.

"You sure you know what's he capable of?" Montoya queried. "Yes, thank you. I know him," Barbara nodded. "Does he know you? Have you told him about us?" Montoya stepped closer. Barbara's breath hitched in her throat as their past flashed before her eyes. When Jim entered her life, she convinced him that she and Montoya were old friends. He never suspected anything between them. Maybe because of the deep love he had for her, or maybe Barbara was just good at hiding her feelings. "Re-Renee, you need to get out," She stuttered. "Please Barb, he doesn't know you the way I do," Montoya's eyes pleaded.

"Get out!" Barbara insisted, her voice full of conviction and insistence. With a disappointed look, Montoya left, her heels clacking down the staircase could be heard from inside the apartment. Barbara's heartbeat rang in her ears as she tried to bring herself back to reality, fighting against her demons of denial. All she could was keep whispering Jim wasn't a murderer and hope this was a pathetic attempt to break up their happy lives. But the more she thought about it, the more doubt began to creep in.

Another hour went by as she stared out the windows, watching droplets of rain slide down the glass, another cloud of dreariness looming over the city. She heard the front doors unlock and open, but her gaze was focused on the world outside. Holly wrapped her arms around her mother's waist, hugging her. But Barbara was still in her own world, barely acknowledging her. Holly looked to her dad, who looked just as equally stressed out. "Why don't you go change, Hols? Your mom and I need to talk," Jim whispered. Holly nodded understandingly, going to her room as Jim approached his fiancée and sensed her distress.