chapter 1 | night 1

Let's have a very merry ChristmasAnd a happy New Year (A happy new year)Filled with love and joy and happinessAnd lots of good cheer(I want you to have)A very merry Christmas (Oooh!)And a happy New Year (A happy new year)Filled with love and joy a...

And a happy New Year (A happy new year)
Filled with love and joy and happiness
And lots of good cheer
(I want you to have)
A very merry Christmas (Oooh!)
And a happy New Year (A happy new year)
Filled with love and joy and happiness
And lots of good cheer

'Sleigh Ride' by TLC blared throughout Noelle's townhome as she moved around her bedroom, packing. She was running a bit behind schedule because once she returned home from her shift at the hospital, she took a much-needed nap and overslept, missing the two alarms she had set. She wasn't too upset with herself because she knew she needed the energy for her long drive down south. Christmas was a couple of days away, and since today was her last day of work until the New Year, she was surprising her family early—instead of Christmas Eve like she normally would. She hadn't seen them in a while due to her crazy work schedule, so surprising them was only right. Everybody's gifts were already in the trunk of her car. She was excited, especially since this was her favorite holiday.

The emergency broadcast system warning alarms sounded from the 65'' TV that was mounted on the wall, grabbing Noelle's attention. She paused her music with the touch of a button, giving the TV her full attention. She stood, listening to the emergency report. She couldn't help but feel increasingly sad as the meteorologist and reporter spoke. There was a slim chance that surprising her family was not possible. The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning.

"There has been a blizzard warning issued, with gusts often reaching at least 40 mph and snow falling and/or blowing, frequently reducing visibility to less than a quarter mile for three hours or longer. When severe winter weather is predicted or occurs, it is referred to as a blizzard warning. Strong gusts, falling and blowing snow, and reduced visibility can create whiteout conditions that make travel extremely difficult. Do not go anywhere. If you must travel, bring a winter survival kit with you. If you become lost, stay in your car and wait for assistance to arrive."

Noelle sighed heavily and turned off the TV before tossing the remote in annoyance. The news had just dampened her mood. She chewed on her bottom lip as she considered her next move. It was a matter of life and death at this point. Either she stayed home and felt sad about spending the holidays alone, or she made her way down south. She shrugged and walked over to the window to peek outside.

The weather hadn't made its grand arrival yet, but she knew it was coming as she watched the small flurries fall from the sky. Stepping away from the window, Noelle quickly moved around her room to finish packing her large 28'' grey DKNY hard shell suitcase. She grabbed her black Saint Laurent shopping tote bag and threw everything from her work purse inside—making it a quick switch.

Once she had packed and organized all her belongings, she entered her bathroom. As she walked on the marble floors, the bright LED lights turned on when motion was detected. Hastily removing her large family reunion shirt, she gathered her long hair into a claw clip and put on her gray shower cap. Since she hadn't taken a shower upon returning home because she was tired, she was now about to take a very quick shower. She wanted to leave before the snow began to fall.