Ch. 9 - Somewhere Only We Know

London, 2004

The day at school had been heavy, as usual.
I was sitting at my desk, my backpack already packed. As soon as the bell rang, I stuffed the last few things into the pocket of my green hoodie and ran outside.
I was a sociable guy normally, I had many friends at school, I liked to socialize.
I quickly said goodbye to the teacher and classmates and walked briskly down the hallway.
I bumped into some of my friends in the hallway, they tried to strike up a conversation but I was in a hurry, I smiled at them and tried to dismiss them with a quick wave of my hand, I didn't want them to think I didn't want to be with them, but I definitely had to get out and get my head out of that environment.

I like going to school, but sometimes I really feel the need to escape, especially when it's a nice day outside and I feel locked there listening to things I already know.

I walked out of the school saying goodbye to 2 or 3 other people, then went to wait for the bus.

There were two kinds of buses I could take when I left school, one was the one that would take me home, and one was the one for days like this. They took a very similar route, the first stops were in common, the second one, however, diverted at some point, taking me a few streets away from my home, to a place that only I knew, or at least I liked to think it was.

I got off at the stop and stayed and enjoyed the air that passed over my face, then crossed the street and took a small road that led to a park.
Being there gave me a sense of calm, each step I took seemed to slowly rinse away all thoughts, and once I had walked the entire street my head was clear and free.
By now I knew it by heart, I could make that driveway with my eyes closed, so I did.
I felt the sun caress my forehead, I smiled, I loved that feeling.
I felt the ground under my shoes getting uphill, I kept going until I heard the rustle of the grass under my soles, I had arrived.

I opened my eyes.

I was on a hill.

I looked around enjoying the scenery overlooking my neighborhood, the hill was not very high, but it gave me a chance to see my house from a distance.

A rustle of leaves welcomed me back, I turned and looked at a towering tree that stood out like a king on the hill.
Its yellow fruits created a brilliant contrast with the blue sky.
The leaves of the lemon tree played in the wind, playing with the reflections of the sun, it seemed to be greeting me.
I smiled at him to return the welcome and sat on its roots.

There was a special connection between me and that tree; it was my companion in solitude when the world got too loud.

I enjoyed that feeling a little longer, and then opened my backpack and pulled out a picnic tablecloth, I always carried it with me in the event of such moments.
I also had some snacks and a couple of cokes with me, I usually snacked at school.

I was about to open my drink when a noise reached my ears, it was a rustle of grass crushed by footsteps.
How was that possible? Was that place well hidden, I imagined?

Instead, it was indeed real, within seconds a figure appeared a few meters away from me. It was a boy who must have been the same age as me, or slightly smaller.
He was standing there, wrapped in a long black leather jacket, looking at the same horizon that I was observing just before, he had a calm appearance, in his mouth he held a cigarette, which made me make an expression of annoyance.

I remained silent observing him, perhaps he had not seen me and would have left without knowing I was there.

The boy, however, had noticed my presence, and without even looking at me he broke the silence that had fallen.

''There's quite a view from here, huh?''

His accent was strange, certainly not Londoner.

I remained silent waiting for more sentences to come out of his mouth.
The boy, however, remained silent, brought his cigarette to his mouth and took a drag.