Chapter 10 - The Last Dance

Start from the beginning

"Wow."

"Shouldn't there be an age restriction for flirting?"

Chaewon pouts, still so adorable after all these years, and it still has the same effect on Yunjin's weak, weak heart.

"We're not that old, you asshole."

The room is then filled with the sounds of Yunjin's laughter as she pulls Chaewon closer. Her grin melts into something softer, something fonder.

"Kiss me."

She finds herself mimicking Yunjin's smile before leaning in and closing the gap that shouldn't have even existed between them in the first place.

Chaewon thinks she's been dealt with a good hand. She thinks that sometimes the universe does get it right and you really hit the jackpot.

Then

I'm coming home, Jen.

The words repeat themselves over and over in Yunjin's head the moment she received the message from Chaewon up until the moment she stands and waits for a familiar face to pop out among the sea of people flooding out of the arrival area at the airport.

She's coming home.

Yunjin doesn't even realize she's been fidgeting with her fingernails until Kazuha elbows her in the arm gently.

"Hey, it's going to be okay."

Sakura, who's leaning on Kazuha's side, gives her a reassuring smile.

Yunjin lets out a shaky breath, "I don't know why I'm so scared. I mean it's Chaewon, there shouldn't be any —"

The words, along with the bundle of nerves, die away from Yunjin's system when she sees a familiar head of ash brown hair in the midst of the crown. Her eyes trail down and finally sees her face.

She's still so beautiful. Yunjin briefly wonders if it's possible for the sun to shine even brighter, for flowers to bloom much more beautifully when they've healed.

Chaewon perks up when she meets her eyes, a smile slowly spreading across her slightly flushed face. Yunjin feels her heartbeat pick up its pace as she decides to abandon any form of self control just to run towards her. The girl meets her halfway and they both rush heart first into each other's arms.

They're so close — Chaewon swears she could hear her heart scream, I'm home.

She buries her face in the crook of Yunjin's neck as the latter wraps her arms around her tighter as if to tell her, you're here, you're home, I'm never letting you go.

The rest of the world disappears and it's just them and the unspoken promise of "I love you".

From the sidelines, Kazuha and Sakura watch the way Chaewon and Yunjin stay in their embrace.

Something about the sudden silence enveloping the entire expanse, how both of them zeroes in on the other and everything else irrelevant turns to gray, reminds Sakura and Kazuha of a scene from a movie.

And there's something about the tight grip Yunjin has on the fabric of Chaewon's shirt, and Chaewon's face being buried in Yunjin's neck that makes their hearts ache in the best possible way.

"What does it say about me if I tell you they're making me cry?"

Sakura laughs softly.

"It screams, 'you're a sap', Nakamura Kazuha."