forty two - azriel

Começar do início

One large door creaked open, a small head of a servant peering out at me. Her dark hair swished over her shoulder as she pulled the door more open and stepped aside.

"I will inform the Lady you are here," she murmured, closing the door behind me as I stepped in. I gave her a nod, turning my eyes to the sitting room in her absence. My breath clogged my throat as I slowly stepped into the room. The room was cleansed and smelled of jasmine and sandalwood, though I still scented the pungent stench of vomit. My eyes snagged on the chair Freyja had been on.

I remembered seeing those guards take her thighs and pull them open. I remembered Alcaeus dropping to his knees and pulling her undergarments aside. Gods, the fact that her father had born witness to her sex had me ill. I burned with hatred at the thought of him shoving fingers into her.

"Azriel."

I blinked, sucking in a breath as I turned. Oh, Gods, Odessa stood before me. Her eyes looked like mine, red and swollen like she'd been crying since that night. She was not dressed in her embellished gown nor was her hair neatly pinned to her head. It was down, an unusual sight, and laid over the folded robe across her chest. She looked as though she just climbed from bed, not having bathed or dressed. In fact, my eyes caught on her slippered feet and lacy nightgown beneath the silken robe. The Lady had just risen from bed.

I cleared my throat. "I'm sorry to wake you. I assumed you'd want familiar company after... after the past few days."

Odessa's nose twitched as she looked to the veranda and then back to me, giving a short nod. She waved one hand to the chaise lounge in the sitting room and then stilled, eyes locked on the same chair mine had been.

"Shall we go to the dining room? I assume you haven't had breakfast," I quickly spoke, breaking her from the trance of haunting memories. Odessa closed her glistening eyes and nodded. I knew it was inappropriate, but I stepped closer to her and laid my gloved hand to the small of her back beneath her limp wings, urging her to turn. My chest aches at how she seemed to lean into my touch. I wondered how long it had been since a male's hands had been on her without the aim to harm.

I lead her to the dining room, pulling out a chair. Odessa sat silently, eyes distant and locked on the empty windows. I ran my tongue over my teeth as I inched to the servant's doors, rapping my knuckle against it. After a mere moment, they cracked open.

"Yes, sir?"

"Please prepare a breakfast for the Lady and I. Juice and tea, too, please," I murmured. The curled dark hair bobbed as they gave me a nod and slipped away into the kitchens. I let out a slow breath and returned to the large table, opting to sit beside Odessa.

"Is he here?" I asked, unable to keep the hatred from seeping into my voice. Odessa blinked and shook her head.

"He is holding court," she croaked. I nodded, the leather of my gloves brushing along my lips as I studied her.

Even in Windhaven, Odessa had always been put together. I'd never seen her like this, broken and unkempt. A carafe of some red juice appeared in front of us, along with two chilled glasses. Odessa's shaking hands rose to pour herself a drink, but I laid my hand on her wrist. I didn't miss her gasp as I leaned forward and poured us both a full glass.

"Thank you," Odessa whispered, using both hands to raise the glass to her lips. I watched her, waiting for her to finish. Her tongue darted out to collect a drop of the juice from her lips. I brought my hand up, brushing back her messy hair.

"Odessa, what happened last night?" I couldn't stop my questioning. Fuck, I didn't care if Odessa knew I loved her daughter. I needed to know.

Her bright eyes turned to me, already welling with tears again. She shook her head softly. I did my best to comfort her; cupping her jaw and tilting my head down so I met her eyes more clearly. "What happened?"

"It went as expected. A supper with Carys and Aled and their children. They spoke about Freyja, about what was expected, and then sent us off to walk in the garden while they had whiskey."

My eyes narrowed. "That's not all, Odessa."

She licked her lips again, glancing between my eyes. "I couldn't believe the way they spoke of her. They nitpicked her body and told us what they planned to do differently to change her. They placed her in Tamlin's room as well, claiming that they needed to get a start on getting her pregnant."

My jaw popped as I clenched it, my hand slipping from Odessa's cheek as I forced myself to look away. They fucking talked about her body in front of her, and then placed her in his bedroom so that he could impregnate her? I was fuming.

Tea and platters of food appeared in front of us, but I couldn't care less. I stared at the open windows, trying to reign in the rage I felt. Freyja surely had yet another traumatic experience, and I, yet again, could not stop it.

"Azriel?" Odessa whispered, her fingers now in my hair. I cringed, running my knuckles over my lips as I looked to her. "Are you the one?"

I stilled. I eyed her warily, not falling for the comforting brush of her fingers over the shell of my ear. Odessa's lips rose into a wobbly smile.

"Are you who kept her away? Who took her virtue?"

Her voice was so soft, so calm. I knew her smile was genuine. My brows pulled together as I swallowed the tears I was sure had dried. Then, I nodded. A small breath escaped her as she tore her eyes away. Her hand still lingered in my hair, though her other one was brought to her lips. Odessa's shoulders rose as she inhaled deeply and then turned fully to me. She reached for my face with her other hand, forcing me to turn towards her.

"I'd always hoped one of you boys would love her. I knew what was going to come of her, but I'd hoped that you or Cass would be her awakening. I am so sorry that she was taken from you, Azriel."

A tear slipped down her cheek and I watched as it curved along her lip. I knew one of my own mirrored hers. My head pounded as I met her eyes again.

"I'm sorry," I croaked. Odessa shook her head, a small sob leaving her.

"My girl deserves a male like you, Azriel. I know what you are feeling- from that night- and I know it is not your fault. You tried to save her, you tried to keep her safe, and that is all I have ever wanted. What happened to her is not your fault, do you understand me?"

I nodded. The pressure in my head had me closing my eyes, lips parting to suck in a breath. I tasted my tears as Odessa leaned forward and pressed chapped lips to my forehead.

"I want to help her," I cried, reaching up to hold her arm. Odessa nodded against my head and I felt her smile.

"So do I, Azriel. So do I."