Chapter 5

Hiccup didn't move at all, he kept his face straight as he looked at his sister. "Astrid, why did you bring her here?", he managed to choke out, his voice stern and dark.

Astrid was almost intimidated. She'd never heard him speak in such a tone. This Hiccup was not the friendly, loving man she knew. This was a dead serious Hiccup.

Still, she would not falter, "Hiccup it's your sister.", she whispered.

Sylvi took this as her cue to start walking toward the couple. "Hey, big brother.", she tried giving him a smile as she took short small steps.

Hiccup didn't move, he pulled away from Astrid and looked at them both in disbelief. He ignored his sisters words and his face held a kind of hurt.

At that moment, Valka came from inside the house. "Gods, it's you, Sylvi!", she exclaimed before rushing over and hugging her daughter.

Sylvi hugged her mother as Valka kept kissing her forehead and cheeks, she could not belive the girl was there.

"Come, let's go inside, it's freezing out here. You must be starving, both of you.", Valka said as she went to Astrid, Sylvi under her arm.

Hiccup had gone inside by then and didn't say a word.

They ate quickly and all of them sat by the table, next to Sylvi and Astrid. They brought food that afternoon, hoping Astrid would finally come home.

Sylvi had quite an appetite as did Astrid. Valka sat beside her daughter and Hiccup was leaning against the nearby wall.

Their home was new. It was built for Astrid and Hiccup as a wedding gift and had enough rooms to spare. Sylvi would spend the night there.

The whole village knew that Astrid had gone looking for the lost Sylvi and were all excited to meet her once more, as an adult.

"Why didn't you want to come home?", Valka asked when Astrid told them of Sylvi not wanting to come back.

Sylvi shrugged, "I thought you'd be mad. Mom, I left you.", she admitted.

"No.", her mother chuckled and hugged her, "I'd never be mad. I love my kids. I'll admit, I was upset and worried at first but no, not anymore."

The young auburn haired woman nodded before speaking again. "I knew you were worried, that's why I was scared to come here. I was almost sure you would've been angry at me."

The two young vikings were now finished eating and Hiccup still didn't say a word.

It was dark out, extremely late and Hiccup finally spoke after a few hours of being mute.

"It's late, I'm going to bed.", he told them as he went upstairs toward his bedroom.

The women were the only ones left and Sylvi felt a bit hurt. She and her brother were quite close as children and now he wanted nothing to do with her.

"He'll come around.", Astrid told her, "He just can't handle all that's going on at the moment."

Sylvi nodded and gave the blonde a warm smile. "It must be the baby.", she chuckled absentmindedly.

Astrid's eyes went wide as she gave a nervous laugh and Valka looked to her in pure joy.

"A baby?", she asked excitedly.

The blonde shook her head and looked back to Sylvi. "B-But how would you know?", she managed to blurt out.

Sylvi smiled, "You must be a crazy person not to notice you puking in the morning."