Chapter 5: My Princess

Moonbyul walked past the gates to Saebyeog Castle with her master. They were here to fulfill the task of delivering a weapon for the king, an exciting yet equally scary feat.

In all her life, Moonbyul had never imagined that something like this would happen. She looked at herself before passing through the enormous wooden doors of the castle.

A servant guided Moonbyul and Choi Cheol-san inside the castle. The master and apprentice soon found themselves in the throne room, standing in front of the king.

The king sat on his throne, facing Cheol-san and Moonbyul. He was stern in expression and his presence alone commanded the silence of the room. He eyed the two with conviction.

Cheol-san urged his apprentice to follow him as he knelt on one leg before the king, presenting a sword with his hands.

Moonbyul knelt down as well, despite finding the act unfamiliar. She had never knelt before anyone in the past, save for her father. If anything, Moonbyul was used to people kneeling before her. She realized that kneeling before someone you did not know took more humility than it looked.

The king called for his daughter to be present. He was certain he had told her yesterday of welcoming the guests.

The servant from earlier took the sword and handed it to the king.

The king of Seojjog received the weapon with a nod of approval, carefully holding it.

The princess stepped into the room and made her way to her father's side. She was dressed in blues and whites, with her maidservant following behind her.

Moonbyul looked up and her eyes widened.

Yongsun glanced at her father's guests and her jaw dropped. She was not expecting anything like this.

Moonbyul and Yongsun looked at each other with the same question running across their minds.

What was the other doing here?

The king unsheathed the sword and admired the patterned blade. It was marvelous and one look was enough to tell that it was made with excellence and dedication. The sword was as deadly as it was beautiful, and it was well-balanced.

Choi Cheol-san, I must praise you. You have succeeded once again, the king's voice echoed across the room, catching Moonbyul and Yongsun's attention.

Your majesty, I thank you for your kind words. However, that blade in your hands was not crafted by me. It was forged by my apprentice who is beside me. I only oversaw his work and nothing more, Cheol-san looked up at the king and glanced at Moonbyul.

The king was taken by surprise. Tell me your name, young man, he eyed Moonbyul.

'The apple did not fall far from the tree', Moonbyul thought. She glanced at Yongsun profoundly before answering the king, My name is Hwang Moonbyul, your majesty.

Hwang Moonbyul, you have pleased me with your skill. Should I be in need of your service in the future, I will inform your master.

Thank you, your majesty. I am honored to serve you, Moonbyul stole a glance at Yongsun who acted like she saw nothing.

The king nodded. He gestured to a servant and the servant approached Choi Cheol-san with a pouch filled with silver coins.

Cheol-san bowed to the king. Moonbyul swiftly did as her master.

I am very grateful, your majesty”, Cheol-san uttered humbly. He stood up with Moonbyul and bowed once more before stepping back.