the gallery

BUCKY

"Yes, we went," Bucky heard Y/n's voice echoing in the bathroom as she attempted to talk to Natasha and Wanda on the phone quietly, the one-sided conversation slowly getting louder and louder, "No we didn't. Do I what? Wanda calm down—Maybe...but I'd never admit it to him..."

"Y/n, you know I can hear every word you're saying right?" Bucky called out from where he sat on their bed, trying, but failing really, to relax before they had to leave.

"I've got to go" he heard her whisper hastily into the phone, "Yes, yes I'll talk to you later"

The door to the bathroom slid open revealing Y/n in a fluffy white robe with the golden emblem of the hotel on it. Bucky raised an eyebrow at her.

"You really heard everything?" she said sheepishly, bowing her head.

"Would it make you feel better if I told you no?"

"Probably not"

"Then yes"

Y/n ran a hand through her hair. The silence grew.

"You're close with them huh? Natasha and Wanda?"

"Yeah, I am" Y/n seemed to relax at this, "I love them, they're like sisters to me"

"Well, I'm glad you have them. I'm learning it's important to have people you love around you"

"You've got Steve and Beatka" she smiled before a short giggle slipped out, "And Sam of course"

"Steve and Beatka, yes. Sam, no."

"C'mon, you love him really"

He shook his head, suppressing a laugh, "I tolerate him, that's more what it is"

"Sure, that's it" Y/n chuckled lightly, "Whatever helps you sleep at night"

"By the way" he started, "We should probably get going soon"

"Okay let me just slip my dress on" She went back into the bathroom, closing the door a crack as she changed.

In a flash Y/n was back out in the bedroom, looking even more stunning than before, if that was even possible, a waft of sensual perfume overwhelming Bucky's senses. His thoughts raced as he took in her sparkling black mini dress that was embroidered with intricate designs of silver and gold and the matching dangling earrings she wore that were so long they just barely touched her shoulders. The memory of her warm neck beneath his lips practically made him shudder.

"Bucky?" her voice brought him back to Earth, "Are you alright...?"

He hadn't realized how heavily he was breathing, "Yeah. Fine." This woman is going to be the death of me.

He stood up from the bed, already dressed in his suit and tie, trying as subtly as possible to re-adjust himself. Thankfully, if she noticed she didn't say anything.

"Let's go"

Y/N

The Guggenheim towered over them as they walked through the glass doors and into the gallery. Following the slow trickle of other black-tie-dressed guests, they made it to the private event space that was being rented for the night's social event. Holding out his hand for her to take, which she quickly did, Y/n gazed around the room, immediately searching for the Cranes. She could sense Bucky doing the same.

"Something's wrong..." Y/n said quietly as she took a flute of champagne from a suited server passing by, blending in with the other high-society attendees.