t h r e e

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" I shout grabbing my bookbag off my bed and running downstairs. When I hit the bottom step I run straight into a wall. Which happened to actually be Paceys who was coming out of the kitchen, with a piece of bacon in his hand. "Sorry! Sorry!" I say quickly picking up the books that just fell out of my bookbag that was opened.

        He stared down at me, and I could tell he was trying to decide if he wanted to laugh or help. He didn't do either, he just stood there but ultimately decided with what we're both used too, sarcasm.

       "Jeez nerd, that excited to see me you couldn't even zip your bookbag?" Pacey grins, leaning against the wall.

         "Oh shut it Pacey, she's just nervous because it's her first day of high school," Dawson says the words high school as if they're haunted. He walks into the living room and shoved a binder in his bookbag, then tosses it over his shoulders.

        "Yikes," Pacey says looking over at me. "Now tell me, all your books didn't prepare you for the high school experience? Shocker" He teases. I blow my bangs out of my face and give him the middle finger. "Wow, someone is feisty this morning, I love it." He winks. I roll my eyes at his comment and actions before he claps his hands loudly causing me to jump. "Come on let's head out before we're late, where is Joey?"

"Here! Here!" She says from the porch. She sounds breathless like she just ran over here. "I'm ready let's go!"

Pacey grabs my bookbag from me, slipping it on his free shoulder. "What do you have in here! This would break your shoulder!" He groans walking to the front door. I'm stunned because every book I've read about a guy holding your books or taking your bookbag has meant he likes you and he's flirting. "Ask me anything you want to know about high school, we have a 20 minute walk." He says nodding his head in the direction of the door once he turns around and notices I'm not following.

"Really?" I ask. "Your serious?"

"I'm serious," he promises. "Let's get going, girl!" He claps and I jog up to catch up with him.

"Bye honey! Have a great first day!" Mom calls out.

"I love you!" Dad shouts from behind her.

"Love you too, bye!" I shout back and then close the door behind me.

"No lovin for me?" Pacey frowns. I slap his arm, "right serious mode," he says. "What do you want to know?"

        "Did you get lost a lot? Is it hard to figure out the layout of the school?" I say going right into my questions.

I've had these questions circling my brain all summer. I didn't want to talk about it at all because I did my best to avoid them but I'm ready to deal with the situation now, since I have no choice.

He shakes his head no, "I didn't really get lost much after the first week. It isn't as bad as you think, yes the school is way bigger then middle school — but high school all the teachers stand outside of their classrooms during the first week of school so that if anyone is lost they can help them. You know me, I'm pretty stupid and I only had to ask for directions twice freshman year." I know he's trying to make me laugh and it works. I place my hand over my mouth to cover my smile, "next question?"

       "Was it hard to meet new people?" I ask. "Because no offense, I kinda want to make some girly friends."

      "Joey isn't good enough for you?" He smirks.

I frown slightly. I look ahead and see Dawson and Joey and feel sad. I have nothing against Joey but I can't even talk to my own brother without her being around. I needed him today and I couldn't even ask for help. Let alone get her alone without him, she's his friend, not mine.