o n e

I walk slowly, running my finger down the spine of the books on the shelf. I try to find a book I haven't read on here. I know I won't find one. It's hard to find in a small town with only one bookstore with a romance section that I read within six months, and no new restocks because I, a 14 year old teen, is their most loyal customer. It makes it hard to not reread the same books over and over, considering they can only get so much money from someone unemployed and spends her every other week allowance here.

I frown, picking up a copy of The Program by Suzanne Young for the thousands time. This cover is different the the one I have at home. The book I have at home is worn down from me rereading it so many times. It has sticky tabs and notes all in the margins with all the thoughts the book has arisen during new reads.

I scan the book, letting the short breeze fan my face. It's warm in here, muggy from the weather outside. I'm surprised the books are in as good of condition as they are because I've read that they need to be at a certain temperature to stay just right. Then again it is a used book store, but still I've seen bookstore that have had way worse conditions in an icebox of a building. I let out a small sigh and place the book back on the shelf, knowing I will be reading it again when I get home.

Although I've read almost every book in here, I always find myself back here. The smell of old books mixed with the apple pie candle the shop owner always has lit brings me a sense of peace I can't find anywhere else. I scan the shelf one more time, hoping something new will peak my interest but I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

"Nothing new this week, miss Leery." Sue, the bookshop owner, says giving me a sad smile.

         "No worries, I was just looking. Allowance is next week, had to see what I'm saving up for," I smile. "Have a good day," I say as I step outside.

         The last remaining days of summer are upon us. In two days I'll be in high school, a singular thought I've been trying to avoid for the entire summer. Every time I think of being a freshmen my stomach twist into knots. I have this cloud of pressure surrounding me and sometimes it becomes so overwhelming that the only place the pressure lifts is when I get lost in my comfort reads, or I'm with my brother and his friends.

Speaking of my brother, I promised him I'd visit him at work today, so I used my trip into town to stop at the video store to see him.

       "If it isn't little miss book nerd herself! We were just talking about you!" Pacey, Dawsons bestfriend, and since I'm close with my brother, one of my friends by default.

        He also happens to be my crush. I've tried to deny it, but after three years of me getting flustered every time he comes around I have to admit even it's just to myself that I have feelings for him. Deep down I'm not sure if they'll ever go away but I've learned to live with them.

        "I didn't know you were working with Pacey today," I groan. "If I had known that I wouldn't of come in," I tease.

         Pacey gasps, placing his hand across his chest right over his heart. "Claire, aim for my head next time. The pain will be quicker."

         "Your head? How would that be quicker, you always have no brain," I shoot back. "You'd just turn into an annoying zombie."

"Speaking of zombie, my movie. We need to figure out how to get Joey to kiss Pacey," Dawson says changing the subject.

I roll my eyes, "how did zombies remind you of your movie?" I groan. "Your movie doesn't even have zombies."

"But it has sea monsters!" He protests. "I'm serious. We're way behind because Joey keeps freezing up or laughing in his face!"