A Lesson to Remember

Start from the beginning

"Hey 'zuku. How was your class today?" Katsuki asks, walking over to give Izuku a kiss on his forehead, nosing into his hair and swiping a wrist over his mate, re-scenting him. There's a sharp 'tsk', and Izuku peers over, tilting his head to see the way younger Katsuki crosses his arms, curled in on himself and looking away, as if he's embarrassed to see mates scenting.

It's kind of...cute.

"Well...I'm sure it's been a rough day. Why don't you two go take a shower, I'll go pick up some food for us, and we can talk about what happened." Izuku offers, nudging Katsuki towards the general direction of their room.

Katsuki just grunts an affirmation, and Izuku watches fondly as he drags his younger self by the scruff, giggling when the younger kicks up a fuss and demands to be let down, he can walk dammit! Their voices fade as Izuku grabs his phone to look for some ramen, heading back out to pick it up once he's placed his order. He has vague memories of this scene, but somehow, hearing those words still hurt.

'There's no way this is my fuckin' future if you're tellin' me I'm mated to fuckin' Deku!'

He wonders if maybe they had a fight. Oh well, no use mulling over the past. Right now, he's got three hungry mouths to feed, himself included. He pushes the thought to the back burner.

-

When he gets back, both Katsukis seem to have just finished washing up. Izuku sets the food on the dining table, watching as younger Katsuki grumbles about 'shitty fashion sense', tugging on the hem of his 'sleep shirt' t-shirt. It fits him almost perfectly, and Izuku wonders how he should feel about that.

"Gimme." Katsuki says, taking the food from Izuku's hands as he places yet another kiss on his forehead.

"Go shower, 'zuku. You stink." As if to make a point, Katsuki wrinkles his nose, and Izuku just punches him in the arm as he makes his way past.

"Sure sure, Kacchan. Whatever you say." He can't help the laugh bubbling up, however, and he leans up to steal another kiss before he runs off to their room to wash up.

Izuku sighs when the stream of the hot water hits his skin, washing away the grime and the worries of the day. As exhausting as it can be, Izuku still loves his job and his students, and he wouldn't trade it for the world. Finally feeling clean, he turns the shower off and steps out, changing into a black t-shirt, the fading skull design showing exactly how thread-worn it is. The fact that it's still usable after two decades is simply a testament to its resilience.

He steps out to find the two Katsukis already seated at the dinner table, helping themself to their portion of the food as they argue about..something. Somehow, Izuku is glad to see them getting along better than earlier. Maybe they were just hungry.

"Oi. Food's gonna be cold if you just sit there." Katsuki drawls, and Izuku snaps out of his daze to find two pairs of carmines staring at him, one half-lidded, the other wide in surprise. Izuku ignores the heat warming his skin as he takes a seat next to his mate, taking the lid off the container.

"So, wanna tell me what happened today, Kacchan?" Izuku deflects, giving his thanks for the food before he digs in.

"Ah, well. I was patrolling, and we had to chase this damn villain. By the time I caught him, this brat was already staring at me like an idiot." Katsuki recounts, thumb pointing towards the younger Katsuki sitting across from him.