Chapter 45: Potions Partners

TW:
Mentions of Self-Harm
*
*
*

      Remus was greeted with a kiss on the cheek by his sweet girlfriend, Amelia Bones, on the morning of his fifteenth birthday.

      They'd been seeing each other for five months now and Remus knew she was starting to get fed up with his monthly disappearances. Amelia was an amazing person and deserved to know the truth. He couldn't lie to her anymore.

"Happy birthday, Remmy," she said in a sing-song voice. "I got you a present, so i'll give it to you after class. Oh! And also, Charity told me her and Peter are dating now, did you know? McKinnon and Hestia too – I shouldn't have said that," she cut off with a nervous giggle, "oops. I know you won't tell anyone though. I 'spose Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs make good couples, who would've guessed? But hey, we started the bandwagon. Anyway, I can't believe we have class, and a potions exam! I studied for weeks but I'm still all queasy about it. I need to get at least an –"

      "Amelia!" Remus cut off her adorable rambling with a laugh. "Breathe, darling." 

       She smiled at him, embarrassed. "Sorry, I've just been so stressed and we haven't been seeing each other as much so I just wanted to tell you everything..."

      "I understand, and there will be plenty of time to talk later. Speaking of, I finish my classes at 2:15 today. Can we talk after that? I want to tell you something."

      "Oooh," Sirius cut in. "Are you gonna tell her you loveee her?"

      "No. Piss off, Sirius," Remus responded, agitated and overcome with nerves.

      Amelia chuckled. "Sure. I get out at four, I'll see you then."

      Remus nodded, his hands sweating. "Brillant."

That afternoon rolled around and Remus, already nervous to tell the truth, had been harassed by his mates all day about what it was he was going to tell the girl.

      They all believed a love confession was on its way despite him being clear that was not the case. He cared for Amelia, deeply so, but they were fifteen, far too young to know what real love was like. 

      "There's the birthday boy," Amelia shouted as she came skipping down the corridor.

      Remus smiled at her. Always a smile on her face and constantly matching the sunshine in her Hufflepuff uniform. She truly made Remus feel better about himself.

      She gave him a quick hug before shoving a small wrapped box into his hands. "Here's the gift I promised. I hope you like it."

      "I'm sure I will." He put the box into his already heavy bag, cringing at the pain in his shoulder. "But before that, there's something I've been meaning to tell you for quite some time." 

      Eyes alight with curiosity, Amelia nodded. "Of course, what is it?"

      Here went nothing. Remus wiped his shaking, sweaty hands on his trousers, already wishing he hadn't said anything. This would change the entire dynamic, he was certain.

      "You know how I'm sick sometimes and miss classes for multiple days, almost monthly?"

      Amelia cocked her head, eyebrow furrowed as she shook her head slowly. "Of course. I always try to check on you but you're impossible to find."

      "Right..." Subconsciously, his hand scratched at a newer scar across his neck. "See, the thing is... I haven't been sick. At least, not really."