Kitty sighed, knowing her father didn’t understand. She hoped he would give William the opportunity to explain.

Emilia only rolled her eyes before gesturing to Kitty to follow her. “Come on, darling. Papa feels the need to exercise his seniority.” She shot Sebastian a very obvious annoyed look.

Kitty tried not to smile. Her mother was angry with her father and that meant he was in for a world of grovelling when they were alone. She stood on her toes and kissed William’s tense jaw. He seemed to relax a little with her touch. “Just tell him the truth. If he doesn’t understand then I will speak to him.”

Kitty followed her mother and siblings from the foyer into the drawing room. Little J shut the door behind him so William and Sebastian could go off to the office. Emilia took her grandson from Kitty’s arms.

Tea and finger sandwiches were already in the room. Kitty was grateful, she was quite hungry from the journey.

“Must I be with the women, mama?” James complained. “This is such a feminine house.”

“Would you rather be with Miss Snooty Smith?” Little J giggled as the four of them and baby Will sat down on the opposing settees.

“Stop calling her that!” James groaned. “She’s not snooty.”

“Yes, she is,” Emilia agreed. Kitty’s eyes widened at her mother’s brazen comment.

“Mama,” James rolled his eyes. “She’s just rich.”

“So are we,” Little J shot back. “And we’re not snooty.”

Miss Sarah Smith was an ongoing presence in her brother’s life. She hoped he wouldn’t make an offer for her, she didn’t want to have to see her at family gatherings. Seeing her at social gatherings was enough. She was pretty, very voluptuous. She was sure her brother’s interest stemmed from there.   

“Her father is wealthy, there is a difference,” Emilia interjected. “She has two elder brothers. Without an advantageous marriage she will be nothing, and you, my dear son, are an advantageous marriage. Show me a woman who hates your title and you have my blessing.”

James picked up a couple of finger sandwiches and began to eat them. “I’m not planning on proposing anytime soon,” he assured them. “I’m still young. Marriage is for when you’re old.”

Kitty scoffed in mock horror. “We are twins, James. I am married!”

“For five minutes,” he muttered.

“For ten months and counting. He was never dead, he was alive the whole time,” Kitty retorted.

“I thought what William did was very noble. Not only did he save a lesser officer’s life, he didn’t want to burden you with the result,” Little J said approvingly.

“As I said, I thought it was romantic,” her mother agreed. “How did you find out he was alive?” Emilia asked and smiled as Will curled his tiny fingers around hers. Kitty loved it when he did that.

“He was with his parents when I arrived. He was to stop there and return to London permanently after. He has to report to the navy, he’s planning on making sure Commander Gates’ rank is elevated,” Kitty explained.

“What’s his fake leg like?” James asked curiously. Kitty shot an annoyed look to her brother. His dark blue eyes were wide with inquisitiveness.

Kitty made a face. Only her brother would insist on making a point of the existence of his false leg. “It is exquisitely made,” she answered simply. “Jamaican carpenters are the very best, in my opinion.”

Changing KittyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara