Chapter 6

Hey everyone, hope you like this chapter :)

The youtube clip on the side is the piano piece that Little J plays, I just thought you might like to know what it sounds like. When Schubert wrote it way back when it was called 'Ellen's Third Song' but we know it today as 'Ave Maria' ... possibly one of my favourite piano pieces so I hope you like it as much as I do :)

Anyways, vote and comment if you like it!!

-----

Chapter Six

“Oh, welcome, welcome!” exclaimed Lady Russel as the Alcott family and their guests entered her humble abode. “I’m so pleased you could make it, Lord and Lady Ethridge, I fear at those large balls we hardly ever get to have a proper conversation!” Lady Russel led them through her house directly into her formal dining room. It was decorated beautifully with large bouquets of flowers spaced evenly along the long, rectangular mahogany table.

Kitty was impressed, everything looked divine. It looked like her family were the last to arrive. A few small groups of people were standing around talking quietly, including Sir Walter Martin.

Lady Russel cleared her throat to get everyone’s attention. She looked lovely that evening. Her brilliant red hair was smooth and elegant in a neat knot and her emerald gown perfectly matched her green eyes. “If everyone would like to take their seats, we’ll have the first course.” Lady Russel motioned for the footmen to pull the chairs out for her guests.

Kitty felt slightly uncomfortable when she found that she was seated beside Sir Walter. She knew what she had to do, but she felt that she would have a little more time to rehearse what she had to say. She was sitting nowhere near Captain Aubrey much to her disappointment; he was down the other end of the table with her parents and Lady Russel. Sitting next to her was Sabine and then Little J.

Kitty stole a glance at Sir Walter who was wearing a rather solemn look on his rounded face. His black hair was, like always, slicked back, and his short bead was combed neatly. “How are you this evening, Sir Walter?” she asked quietly as a small bowl of water cress soup was placed before her by one of the footmen.

Sir Walter’s sharp, grey eyes flashed to her. “Perfectly fine, Lady Kitty,” he snapped quietly.

Kitty knew that he was very angry with her. She figured she would just have to give her apology without rehearsal. “Sir Walter, I wanted to apologise to you for my behaviour, it was inexcusable the way I treated you. You didn’t deserve that,” she said softly as she placed a small spoonful of soup in her mouth.

“No, I didn’t,” he replied curtly. “But I should’ve known better than to think that a silly little twit, like yourself, was ever good enough for a man as accomplished as I am.”  

Kitty’s eyes widened in astonishment. Had he really just said that her? “I should advise you to hold your tongue when you insult me, sir; I am the eldest daughter of a very fine gentleman.”

“I’m sure that very fine gentleman would abandon you quite quickly if he knew that he had bred a little slut,” he hissed under his breath so that no one around would hear.

Kitty checked her surroundings and was glad to see that Sabine and Little J were deep in conversation so they had not heard what Sir Walter had sad about her. She then looked down at the green soup before her and suddenly didn’t feel so hungry anymore.

“There is no need to be unkind, Sir Walter, I am trying to do the right thing by apologising to you,” Kitty said softly. She willed herself not to cry. She could feel the tears wanting to escape her eyelids but she wouldn’t let them.