Chapter 22

Chapter Twenty – Two

Kitty watched in awe as her husband took their son in his arms for the first time. His looked at him with such love and devotion, the same feeling that she got every time she thought of Will. It was a sight she was sure she would never see. She was sure that Will would never have a father and she was sure that she would always feel empty. But that didn’t have to be anymore.

The looks on both John and Kathleen’s faces made it clear that they were not impressed with their son, as she was sure many people would be. But they wouldn’t understand. Only she understood as only she knew his mind fully. He was trying to protect her by the only way he knew how – by being noble.

Even if it had torn her to pieces, she knew why he did it. She could see his logic in it. There would be many women who would turn their back on their husbands who came back from battle without a limb, but that wasn’t her.

She had him back, and he wasn’t going anywhere. She felt as if her three month long nightmare was over, and she was finally able to wake up. Losing him was the hardest thing she’d ever been through, she wouldn’t wish that on anyone, not even her worst enemy.

Will stirred and opened his eyes. His bright blue irises stared at his father curiously.

“My eyes,” William smiled, sounding astonished. “He looks like me.”

Kathleen pursed her lips. Although she still appeared displeased, she couldn’t help but smile at the sight of her son holding his child. “He does,” she agreed. “How old is he exactly, Kitty?”

“He was born on the twelfth of March,” Kitty replied. “So he is a month old.”

William’s eyes flashed to hers. “Happy birthday … I missed it while I was … detained.”

“It was quiet,” Kitty dismissed it.

William looked as if he felt as guilty as ever. She was sure that this feeling would remain for a long while, and she was positive her protective father would be sure to make it worse.

Her eyes trailed down to his left leg. It would take getting used to on her part. It didn’t disgust her or frighten her, it would be a constant reminder of his bravery. But it would always be a constant reminder of the fact that he thought her capable of turning her back on him. She wouldn’t ever, and he wouldn’t do it to her, she wouldn’t let him.

Will started to grizzle in his father’s arms. William started to panic. “Does he not like me?” he fretted.

Kitty smiled. “He’s hungry,” she assured him.

“Did you bring your wet nurse with you, Kitty?” Kathleen asked her, looking out into the living room to see if she’d missed welcoming anyone.

“No,” Kitty shook her head. She took Will from William’s arms and cradled him. “I feed him myself. Mama never had one with my brothers and sisters, so I shan’t have one. He is my baby, I shall be the one to feed him, not some stranger.”