Chapter 2 - Photo of Kitty

Photo on the side is Kitty :)

----

Chapter Two

Kitty was unable to enjoy the rest of the ball after Captain Aubrey had called her on her behaviour. She danced the rest of her dances but it felt more like obligation to her rather than for pure enjoyment.

She was happy when dawn came and the guests began to depart her house. All guests of course except for Captain William Aubrey.

As Kitty went upstairs to sleep for a few hours before breakfast she ran into Little J who was in the process of sneaking out, like she did every day. Her younger sister had so much potential to be one of the most beautiful debutantes in society but she refused to participate in such activities. She was blessed with lovely blonde hair and pretty blue eyes. “And where are going?” Kitty asked in a knowing tone.

“Out,” Little J answered quickly as she hurried past her sister. Kitty noticed how she carried with her a small brown satchel that looked quite full.

“Little J,” she said disapprovingly. “You’re sure you’re not doing anything illegal? I’m your sister, you should be able to tell me where you go off to every day,” Kitty moaned.

Little J pursed her lips. “It’s not illegal ... I don’t think,” she said awkwardly. “I’ve told you I’m not ruining myself, and I’m using my intelligence to my advantage, what more do you want?” she sighed to her elder sister. “Kitty, don’t ask questions,” she pleaded. “I’ll tell you soon, I promise.”

Kitty frowned. “I’ll hold you to that, Little J,” she said seriously.

Little J smiled and quickly kissed her sister’s cheek. “I love you, tell mama and papa I’ve gone to Annie’s!” she called over her shoulder as she disappeared out of the house.

Kitty covered for Little J each day. Today’s excuse was that she was going to their youngest sister’s house that was about a mile away. Annie had married young to their young reverend who’d taken over the church once his father had passed away. Annie and Mr Joseph Preston had been fools for each other since childhood, and her father approved the match because of how genuine Joseph was. She was happy that her shy little sister had found someone who brought out the best in her. They’d been married about a year and her mother was anxiously awaiting the news that she was going to be a grandmother.

As soon as she’d entered her bedchamber the door opened once more and her mother entered. Kitty thought her mother had truly aged gracefully considering she was now in her mid forties. Her hair was still its lovely golden colour and her figure was the same as it had always been.

“You looked lovely this evening, my dear,” she smiled.

Kitty smiled back. “Thank you, mama,” she replied. “As did you.”

Emilia scoffed, rolling her eyes. “I’ll pretend I believe you,” she laughed.