Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

Kitty felt as if she could have been in mourning. She’d thought she’d prepared herself for goodbye but she was nowhere near ready. Her family and William’s parents had gathered down at the dock, as had the wives and families of the other naval officers, to say goodbye.

The grey skies let off an ominous feelings and threatened rain. It did not feel like summer but it did feel like goodbye.

Docked next to the magnificent Royal Rose was the trade ship that flew the East India Trading Company flag. On board were all sorts of things from tea to weaponry. Kitty didn’t know why it was so important to have a naval escort – what did it matter if a little tea was lost? But she knew that she wasn’t about to change the King’s decision, though if she had the opportunity she would give him a piece of her mind.

The thought of becoming a stowaway had crossed her mind but she knew it would only cause trouble.

William snapped her out of her trance by squeezing her hands in his. “Kitty?”

Her eyes flashed to his bright blue irises. They were filled with worry and concern. Why should he be worried and concerned about her? He was the one that was sailing into dangerous waters.

“Please don’t go anywhere on your own,” he instructed in a soft voice. “Married or not, you’re still a beautiful woman and some men, namely an unmentionable man, have no qualms with violating you.”

Kitty nodded, choosing to obey him. “I won’t,” she promised. “Will you do something for me?” she asked.

William nodded, bringing his hand to her cheek.

“Do not be a hero,” she said sadly. “It may be horrid of me to ask as you are anything but a coward but you are sailing off with a hundred and twenty guns strapped to the walls of the ship.”

William’s face softened as he smiled slightly. “I’ve already told you I’m coming home. As soon as the trades are complete and we are free I’ll be right back here by your side.” He leaned forward and kissed her forehead. He then placed his hand on her flat stomach. “Take care of my son, won’t you?” he whispered in her ear.

“How do you know it is a boy? And how do you even know I’m with child?” she arched one of her eyebrows.

“Wishful thinking, I suppose,” he smiled.

At that moment there were cries aboard the Royal Rose which Kitty knew meant that they had to depart. William looked up onto the deck regretfully before returning to her.   

“I will write you as soon as I can,” he promised. “I can’t promise that we’ll be in one place for too long so I doubt I’ll be able to give you a return address but I will give you a time frame in my letter.”

“Captain,” said a man standing behind Kitty. She turned around to see Commander Gates looking stern. He met her eyes and bowed his head. “Milady,” he greeted formally.

“Commander,” she smiled slightly.  

“Is it time?” William asked his second in command regretfully.

“It is,” Commander Gates nodded.

As if on cue, the clouds that threatened rain began to spill. She was thankful to the little wet droplets as they disguised her tears. Her family were standing twenty feet behind her all looking solemn.

Kitty pulled a letter from her person and handed it to him. He closed his hands over the paper to keep it safe from the rain.

“What’s this?” he asked curiously.