Comfort ≫ Rainswept Flower x Depressed! Female! Reader (PLATONIC)

Art: mechafeline

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Depressed reader
• Anxious reader

This one-shot was requested by Pinestripe37. Thank you for your time!

****

You could've sworn that you heard your name being called from somewhere at the edge of your consciousness. The voice was familiar, and you were certain you had heard it somewhere before, but your sleep-riddled mind lacked the capabilities to match it with a face.

"...(Y/N)..."

The voice spoke again, still distant, but just a bit closer. It began pulling at you gently, carrying you back to the waking world like a mother would carry her exhausted kit by the scruff of their neck.

"(Y/N), wake up."

You opened your eyes, feeling as if their lids had turned to stone. You felt like you had only been asleep for a few heartbeats, but based on the long shadows of the impending night that were stretching across the grass, it had been much longer.

What...? You thought groggily, blinking to clear the glaze of a fretful sleep from your eyes. ...I only meant to sleep for a few minutes...

That much was true; you had felt fatigued after a rather lengthy hunt with your best friend, and had curled up beneath the shade of an old pine tree to nap. Apparently, naps could last for hours.

"(Y/N)? Can you hear me?"

You turned your head towards the familiar voice, your stiff neck groaning in protest. Your aforementioned best friend was standing above you, her bright blue eyes shadowed with a type of concern only a special cat could have.

"Yeah. I can hear you, Rainswept Flower," You mumbled, slowly sitting up and shaking your head to unfold your crooked ears. "Sorry for the long nap. I guess I needed it." You tried to chuckle lightheartedly, but it came out sounding more like a defeated sigh.

Rainswept Flower sighed, and in a gentle voice she murmured, "You're not feeling well, are you?"

Your gaze fell to the ground, as well as your fake smile. She knew you all too well, and it sometimes made your chest ache. You felt like a burden, all because you couldn't be happier than you were.

Rainswept Flower rested her left forepaw on top of yours, then leaned down so she was eye level with you. "It's not your fault, (Y/N)," She meowed gently, as if having read your thoughts. "I know you're doing your best."

"I-I don't know what to do," You choked out. "Every single day, I wake up and I can't stop thinking... It's like trying to swim in mud, Rainswept Flower... I try so hard, but I never get anywhere, and—and—" Your breathing suddenly hitched, and you let out a quiet sob. All the pain you had been holding inside suddenly broke through your facade, seeping out of your eyes in a flood of tears.

"Oh, (Y/N)..." Rainswept Flower murmured sadly.

You buried your face in the thick fur on her chest, finally allowing the pent up agony out all at once. You felt Rainswept Flower rest her chin on top of your head, followed by her tongue rasping gently over your ears.
It took a moment, but you were eventually able to calm down with the help of Rainswept Flower's soothing words.

You pulled your face out of her chest and met her gaze, sniffling. "I-I'm sorry," You stuttered, your voice still thick from crying. "I don't know what's w-wrong with m-me..."

"Nothing is wrong with you, (Y/N)," Rainswept Flower murmured, licking your forehead once more. "You're going through a difficult time, and it's perfectly okay to feel the things you are right now; you have nothing to be ashamed of, okay?"

You nodded, one last sniffle escaping you. "...Okay..."

"Well, then." Rainswept Flower meowed, her tone a bit lighter, but not lacking sympathy. "Would you like to sleep in my nest tonight? It's kind of cold." She shivered, a brrr slipping past her lips.

You smiled, then rose to your paws. "I would like that," You replied hoarsely, wincing as the soreness in your joints reminded you of it's existence. "Thanks, Rainswept Flower."

The tabby she-cat gave you another sympathetic smile, then pressed herself to your side and began helping you walk to the den you all shared beneath a large bramble thicket. Once you were inside, she helped you settle down into her bed of fresh moss, then laid down beside you.

"I'm proud of you, (Y/N)," She murmured as you rested your head. "It's not easy admitting that you're not okay."

You blinked, allowing your weary eyes to fall closed. "You make everything easier, Rainswept Flower," You mumbled sleepily. "It's all thanks to you."

Rainswept Flower didn't speak after that, but you could feel her tongue rasping over your ears as you drifted off. It was incredibly comforting to be close to her, especially when your mind was dark.

As you lost yourself to the deep hold of sleep, you cuddled a bit closer to your friend. You were safe—Rainswept Flower would make sure of it.

****

I sincerely hope this one-shot met your expectations, Pinestripe! It was very fun to write!

Thank you to everyone for voting, commenting, following, and showing your support in any other way!