chapter five

WHEN I SAID such a cry baby, I didn't actually know he was crying. I gape at Jamal in astonishment as he wiped his tear-filled eyes. My heart clenched at how hard this must be for him which made me promise to do my very best to help him.

I reached out for Jamal's hand holding it tight. He blinked at me with a shocked expression questioning my action. I held his his hand tighter as to tell him I'm here with him. I whisper quietly " it's going to be alright, okay." He nodded in agreement to my words as he looked at me with a deep stare despite his reddened eyes.

" I believe in you Charlotte." Jamal murmured tightening our hands and interlocking my fingers with his. I couldn't look away from his stare as my eyes roamed over his face bringing memories of that night. The dancing, smiling, laughing; every moment of that night came crashing down on me. How can I avoid acknowledging that night when just looking at him right now makes me want to say yes I remember that night and yes it was an amazing night.

I open my mouth to speak when a loud voice boomed into the cafeteria making me quickly remove my hand from Jamal's hold. I keep my hands under the table as if erasing evidence I was holding hands with Jamal. It was then I noticed how my hand was warm from Jamal's hold which made me smile unconsciously.

"I been looking for you everywhere man." Said the voice to Jamal. I observe the man who turns out to being a fellow teammate of Jamal. He walks into the cafeteria exchanging greetings with Jamal. He is tall but not as tall as Jamal because he looks more like a guard than a forward.My theory is further proven correct because he has low body fat with defined muscles which is obvious due to the tank top he is wearing. I also learn that he goes by the name Malik. He is light skinned with a chubby face and thin lips which gives him a much younger look. He also has dark curly hair with round eyes which makes him adorable.

Wow, I didn't know that being attractive is now a requirement for playing basketball.

After exchanging greetings with Jamal, he turns his attention to me extending his hand "miss Larson, how are you doing?"

"I'm alright, thank you." I replied with a smile.

"I'm pleading with you to help this man recover quickly, so he can get back on the court and help the team." Malik joked punching Jamal lightly.

It seems their relationship is beyond being teammates as they share a good natured laugh.

"Bro seriously, even for training fit, you are putting on a drip." Malik said to Jamal pointing to the chain necklace peeking under his training gear.

Hold on, I know that necklace any day, any time. That's my necklace; the one given to me by my mum. The same one I wore to that party. I've searched my entire house looking for it but turns out l left at his place.

Gosh, I can't believe this after I made sure of not leaving anything behind.

"Well you know me, drip on drip." Jamal stated calmly.

Why is he wearing my necklace, shouldn't he be returning it rather than wearing it as if it belongs to him. I huff annoyed because there's no way I can claim it's mine without acknowledging that night. This man is so infuriating, I feel like he has made it a personal task to annoy me to the point where I have to admit that night.

"and it does look good on me, right Charlotte, doesn't it?" Jamal added with a mischievous grin looking at me expectantly.

I nodded smiling. Oh, you son of a motherless goat, he knows what he is doing. He purposely toying me to admit but I wouldn't give in.

I clear my voice and add extra sweetness to my voice " yeah, it does look good on you."

My response slightly annoys Jamal so he glares at me with a lifted eyebrow questioning me and my response. Which I responded back smiling at him wildly.