20

Five's POV

Everyone gasped as I dropped down on one knee, holding the ring box in my hand. My eyes were on Y/n, who was looking at me like she was hypnotized, her lips slightly parted, confused written all over her beautiful face. I was sure some of my father was boiling inside, and so were Y/n's family, but who would give a fuck? When you find a love like this, nothing stops you; you fight for it, taking all the risks in the world. And for Y/n, I was willing to take that risk. I was willing to risk it all, including my life.

"Y/n Hargreeves, will you marry me?" I said, looking into the eyes of the woman that managed to burn down the thick's walls I'd surrounded myself with and find her way in, engraving her name forever in my heart.

She was speechless, and I couldn't blame her for that. She didn't expect any of this. Not so soon. I knew we'd only known each other for a couple of weeks, but did the time have any meaning? I was sure I wanted to spend my life with someone like her. Yes, maybe it was a bit rushed, but not hasty. I thought everything through. Not once, not twice. Over and over again, and I knew to protect her, I had to make her a Hargreeves, my family's Hargreeves. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about the most dangerous man I'd ever known—my father. He was twisted, but he had rules he would never break. But my family whether by blood or bond, a Hargreeves was a Hargreeves, each equally important and valuable. Untouchable.

"Five," she whispered, her sweet voice a little shaky. I got nervous that she would say no. After all, she was only 29 and still stuck in her teenage body, and we'd never talked about marriage. She opened her mouth, ready to give me an answer when a gunshot sounded loudly through the room, and everyone screamed, looking around in fear.

Just my fucking luck.

"Security!" Luther shouted, frowning angrily. Allison quickly held Claire next to her and Diego pulling out one of his knifes. People started freaking out, creating a fuss that wasn't helpful at all. "Ladies and gentlemen, please remain calm." Luther voice was commanding.

Y/n's eyes grew wide, and she struggled to catch a breath. I got up to embrace her. "Calm down, baby. I'm here," I whispered before kissing her forehead.

I was sure the gunshot came from the hallway. I quickly scanned the room and noticed Zachary was missing. It didn't take long to connect the dots.

"Fuck," I hissed.

"What is it?" Y/n asked, her body shivering.

"Diego, take care of Y/n," I said to my brother, who nodded, not questioning my intentions. We might not have had the best relationship, but it life-threatening situations, we had each other's backs, and I knew I could trust him.

"Five, please, don't!" Y/n shouted after me as I blink to the room I heard the gunshot fired.

MY BLOOD RAN COLD when I saw Zachary's body on the hallway floor, surrounded by a puddle of blood. An icy shiver swept down my back, and I hurried toward my friend. "Hold on, Zachary." I slid my hands under his head, lifting it gently. He barely kept his eyes open, mumbling something under his breath, but I couldn't catch a word. I assessed his body, spotting the gunshot wound inches below his heart. I placed my hand there to put pressure on the wound. "Don't you dare leave me," I pleaded, even though I was sure he couldn't hear me. I was sure he couldn't hear me. I was scared I could lose my friend. I swallowed, wondering if the bullet was meant for Y/n, and my hair stood on end.

"Zachary!" Y/n voice rang through the hallway.

I turned to see her running toward us, fear in her eyes. She managed to keep it cool, though. She quickly reached for her phone and called 911.