Chapter Fourty Two

Start from the beginning

"It sounds even longer when you point it out, but yes something like that."

Morgan nodded and turned to Layla who was still on my arms—making the girl hide shyly on the crock of my neck because of the attention of someone she doesn't know. "This pretty girl here is your daughter I suppose?"

"This is Layla, Layla say hi to Morgan—she's mommy and Kade's friend." Jessie caressed her daughter's hair making her move her head and finally look at Morgan.

"She's shy." I said.

"She's adorable." Morgan said. "Hello there little Layla." She extended her hand and Layla mimicked her—both shaking hands.

"Hi." Layla muttered.

"You know I have a kid too, he's still a baby though—more little than you, do you want to see him?" Morgan talked to the child in my arms.

Layla nodded and I put her down on the floor so she could follow Morgan and us follow them.

I felt Jessie grab my hand as we moved deeper into the house—giving her a reassuring squeeze we entered the living room where everyone was.

"Everyone looks whose finally here!" Morgan yelled prompting baby cries to follow.

"Are you serious Morgan?" Hayley complained as she went to carry her one year old baby as he cried.

"Sorry babe." Morgan said.

"Kaden!" Jason appeared from another room and hurried my way before lifting me in a hug.

"Jason the baby is crying don't yell." Norah said as she appeared behind him.

"Nice seeing you again gentle giant, now put me down." I patted his back and he chuckled.

"Jessie! Hi, how are you? Long time." Jason talked to my girlfriend. I noticed Morgan had approached Hayley along with Layla so she could meet Marcus.

"Hi Jason, I've been good." She glanced at me. "Great really, what about you?"

"Oh you know working and being house husband at the same time." Jason chuckled as he wrapped his arm around his wife—who rolled her eyes playfully.

"Dork." Norah muttered. "Hey Jessie, I'm not sure if you remember me I'm Norah," she extended her hand out and Jessie shook it.

"I do, I remember seeing you hanging out with Jason and we had theater club together. Good to see you again, you two make a lovely couple." Jessie smiled at the couple who did so as well.

"Layla? Sweetheart come here for a second please." Jessie called for her daughter who came in a flash. She then continued by introducing Layla to both Jason and Norah—making them both gush about it.

"I want one." Jason said to his wife with a pout.

"Not yet babe." Norah pecked his lips and continued talking to Layla.

I saw Morgan and Hayley began to approach us—the blonde didn't look happy about it but she didn't look upset either—right now it was hard to read her.

"Here's the little Anakin Skywalker Valentine." Morgan said with the baby in her arms—Marcus's big grey eyes that were identical to Morgan's stared back at me with curiosity.

I had of course met my nephew before, I was there the day he was born—but being a one year old I don't expect him to remember me especially since I'm not in his everyday life.

"That is not his name." Hayley gave her wife a glare—getting a laugh out of both Jason and I.

"My adorable nephew there you are!" I said in hopes to break the awkwardness.

"What did we say about yelling?" Morgan said as she handed the me her son.

"You didn't say anything." I responded looking at him. "Duvall," I acknowledged the other mother of my nephew.

"Stone... excuse me." Hayley avoided any more eye contact with anyone else before quickly fleeing the living room.

I turned to see Jessie clench her jaw and sigh, "I shouldn't have come here, Hayley is obviously not okay with me being here."

"Nonsense I talked to her and she... said it was fine you coming over." I wanted to smack Morgan for the hesitation everyone caught.

"Nicely done Morgan." Jason commented.

"Hayley just needs time Jessie." Norah said to my girlfriend.

"No, it's been more than ten years time is not what she needs. We need to talk." Jessie began to walk away the way the blonde had fled.

"I wouldn't do that if I was her." Morgan mumbled as she watched her go. "You are not going to stop her?" She asked me.

"Fuck no, I'm not crazy. Besides I think she needs to do whatever she is going to do." I grabbed Layla up in my arms and threw her in the air before catching her again making her giggled as I did it. I then sat her on my shoulders. "Besides I need to look after this little one."

"You are good with kids." Norah commented.

"Yeah is surprising." Jason added.

"What about me?" Morgan asked.

"To be determined." Norah responded making us laugh.

"Nice one." I high-fived my sister in law.

I really hope whatever Jessie has planned to say to Hayley doesn't make things worse than they currently are between them... which may be impossible.

A/N - Sorry for the long wait, you might guess what the next chapter will be like lol. One more chapter and the epilogue left!

Thoughts?