It's rotten work. Not to me. Not if it's you.

Start from the beginning

"Mhmp-" Izuku says, rubbing his mouth with his sleeve and frowning at the ground.

"C'mon," Katsuki tugs him the rest of the way home.

Keys in the bowl in the entryway, shoes off, he helps Izuku out of his, pushes him gently towards the bathroom and leaves him with instructions to do nothing more than rinse his mouth. The last thing Katsuki needs is Izuku trying to shower and braining himself on the tiles.

When he comes back from the kitchen with a full glass of water and painkillers for tomorrow, he's pleased to see Izuku already sitting on their bed, changed in his sleep clothes and face damp as if he'd washed it at the sink.

Katsuki hands him the glass, pressing a kiss to his forehead. Can't help himself from doing it.

Izuku closes his eyes against it, "Thank you, Kacchan," he says quietly, drinking his water.

Katsuki goes to change out of his clothes, feeling Izuku's gaze on him the whole time. He throws him a smirk, but Izuku isn't really looking at him, lost somewhere in his head.

"I'm sorry," he says all of a sudden.

Katsuki tilts his head, "I'm used to you being a little useless from time to time," he teases, "No need to apologise."

Izuku doesn't smile like he usually does, though. Well – he does, but it looks wrong. Eyes cast down; it looks almost self-deprecating.

"Hey," Katsuki sits at the edge of the bed by his side, hands running down his arms, "What's wrong?"

Izuku shakes his head, but Katsuki can see his eyes are damp now, and he panics, but Izuku starts talking, words spilling like a flood, "I'm sorry for being annoying," he hiccups, and Katsuki's hands freeze, "I'm trying not to be, I promise."

Katsuki can't stand it. He grips Izuku's arms a little too tightly, "Baby, what are you talking about?"

Izuku cries harder but pitches forward, leaning onto Katsuki's collarbone, "I know I like you more than you like me," he lets out a sigh, wet, trembling, and heartbroken. "It's okay, though. I don't mind as long as you like me enough to be with me," Izuku's fists close around Katsuki's shirt. "I love you so much, Kacchan," he rubs his face against Katsuki's chest, tears dampening the fabric, "So much."

Katsuki feels as if he's been cast off a ship in the middle of the artic ocean. He can't breathe. Icy needles are stabbing at his heart, his lungs, and brain. "Izuku," it comes out weird, a painful gasp pulled from the cavern of his chest.

But Izuku is listless, body completely slumped on Katsuki's. He's asleep.

He just shredded Katsuki's heart and soul, and he's asleep.

Katsuki wraps his arms around him and falls back, hugging Izuku so tight he can hardly breathe. He doesn't want to breathe.

Where did he go wrong?

But, no, that's not the right question. He knows exactly where he went wrong. But he thought – he shakes himself; it doesn't matter. He needs to figure out how to make it right.

He curls to his side, Izuku safely tucked in his arms, "I love you so fucking much," he says, lips moving against his forehead. "You're the only person I want with me all the fucking time," he buries his nose into Izuku's curls and smothers a sob against them, "Stupid Izuku, how can you think I like you less than you like me?"

But there is no reply. Only soft breathing and a steady heartbeat under Katsuki's palm.

Katsuki presses his hand more firmly against it and promises, "I'll show you, just watch me."