Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

"Not funny!" I scold him as I turn around. "I've been on edge all day. That could've caused my heart to blow up."

"First of all, your heart can't blow up," Olly corrects me. "Second, we don't have to do this. If you changed your mind and you're not ready, it's okay."

"I said I was on edge. I didn't say I wasn't ready. I'm more than ready! It's all I ever think about these days."

"Yeah, me too," he confesses as his cheeks flush.

"So let's put the plan in motion," I say as I grab his hand. "Be seen and get out of here."

My gaze falls on Wade and Brandi, walking toward the beach. "The sooner, the better. If we stay here too long and those two start fighting, we'll get stuck here."

"Yeah, and they're overdue for one. Let's hurry and sneak away," Olly agrees. "You sure you don't mind missing the fireworks?"

My gaze finds its way to the duplexes ahead when Olly says that, and suddenly, I'm transported back to last year, with Hunter.

"Not at all," I say, even as a melancholy feeling washes over me. It's not like anything happened with Hunter last year, but the feeling remains, even as I try to shove it down.

"Hey guys!" Hunter... of course. I try harder to shake off last year as I look towards his voice.

He has one hand lifted in a wave to greet us and the other clasped around some girl's hand. A beautiful girl with olive-toned skin and shiny jet-black hair. He's been dating quite a bit this summer.

"Hey, Hunt. Happy Fourth!" Olly says with a smile.

"Erin, these are my best friends, Olly and Kinz. This is Erin. She'll be a senior at our school."

"Hi," Erin says politely. "I've heard a lot about you two."

He talked about us? And he's introducing her? He usually doesn't bother. A knot forms in my gut, but I ignore it as I smile kindly at Erin.

"It's nice to meet you," I offer.

"You planning on staying around all night?" Olly asks Hunter, who shrugs.

"Yeah. Why?"

"I'm crashing at your place tonight," Olly says with a telling wink. "In case my mom happens to ask."

I freeze, and it seems like Hunter does, too. There goes keeping it private.

Seriously Olly?

"Oh. Right," Hunter looks at me momentarily, then quickly shifts his gaze away as he runs a hand through his locks. "Yeah. I'll cover ya."

"Thanks, man," Olly says. "Kinz is planning on coming back here to get Franky and Betsy later. If they're looking for her... maybe just say you think we're at the beach. I doubt they'll ask. They'll be too drunk to care where we are."

"Don't worry 'bout Franky and Betsy," Hunter says. "I'll just bring 'em home and 'em drop off later. I'll tell them you left with Brandi or something, Kinz"

Well, shit, that's a lot easier than me coming back here to get them... but I still didn't want anyone to know!

"Really? Thanks, Hunt," Olly says.

"Yeah, thanks," I add with an awkward smile. I'm having trouble meeting Hunter's eyes, and he's not looking right at me either.

"Sure. Let's go find a spot to sit and eat, Erin. See you two around. Have... fun." Hunter cringes at his words, and I'm pretty sure I'm beet red.

"Later," Olly says all casually. I'm going to kill him, I swear.

"Nice meeting you two," Erin says with a small smile. "Have a happy fourth."