𝟧𝟦 | 𝖯𝗂𝗇𝗄 𝗈𝗋 𝖡𝗅𝗎𝖾

Start from the beginning

I hold out the bag of food and she takes it away from me when I'm close enough. "As requested, a large plate of orange chicken and chow mein."

"Thank you so much, pretty boy," Asteria says, quickly taking out the tupperware made out of styrofoam and opening it. The smell immediately fills up the room. We may not complain now because it smells good but we will be later. "I've been craving this since last night."

Noticing how she's struggling to rip open the plastic that's holding the utensils, I do it for her. "Why didn't you say anything?"

She shrugs. "The cravings weren't as strong as they are now." Asteria uses the fork to stab the chicken and pick it up. She lets out a small moan once she takes a bite out of it and lays her head back. "Oh, that's delicious."

I grin. "I can see that, cariño. Can I have a bite?"

"Since you asked so nicely and took the time to bring me food even after I woke you up." Asteria twirls the fork in the chow mein and brings it to my lips. "Keep your mouth open."

I'm only able to get a single word before she shoves a piece of orange chicken into my mouth. I shoot a glare at her as I chew my food.

"The baby just kicked," Asteria murmurs. "I think he found it funny."

My eyes soften and I put my hand on her five-month pregnant belly. "He? So does that mean you think it's a boy?"

"Maybe?" She takes another bite. "I don't know. It's just a feeling I have. What do you think it'll be?"

"I'll be happy either way."

"But we both know that you're secretly hoping it's a girl." Asteria chuckles. "Don't be embarrassed though. I think it's cute. I can see you being a girl dad."

"You think?"

She nods and then whispers, "Hey, you went quiet on me. What's wrong?"

"I did?"

"For like two or three minutes."

"I thought about how my da–Raúl–was never around and I just . . . I want to be the best father I can be to our baby, cariño." I don't have many memories with Raúl and if I do then they are not happy ones. I never had those father-son bonding moments. We never went to the park to kick the ball around or ride bicycles until our legs were tired.

I did all those things with my sister and our mamãe instead.

He never showed me how a father is supposed to act. I had to learn all of that on my own.

There were so many nights where he and my mamãe argued. Those nights I took Raquelle out of the house and we played in the yard or walked up and down the street. I didn't want her to listen to our parents raising their voices at each other.

"Christian, you're nothing like your fath–him. I know that you're going to be a better father than him so you have nothing to worry about."

I smile. "Thank you, Asteria."

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

"I told you she was pregnant!" Celestina exclaims, lightly pushing Valentino's shoulder.

Asteria's eyes widen slightly. "You knew?"

Celestina looks at her in complete surprise. "Angelita, I have been pregnant more than once. I know the symptoms that come with being pregnant and I've seen at least three from you."

"Why didn't you say anything then?" I ask.

"I wasn't really sure and I figured you two wanted to wait until a certain time to announce it." Celestina pauses, cups Asteria's cheek, and holds her hand. "Do you remember what I said to you after we came home from the second appointment?"