Around Every Corner pt5

Veron: this should be it . We're right underneath the center

Lee: "Okay, people, this is it. Remember the plan; we stay quiet, we stay hidden, and we stay together. We find everything we need, and we get the hell out before anyone even knows we're there. Got it?"

The crew nods their heads at the man, ready to put their plan into action. The old doctor steps aside to allow Lee to climb up the ladder. While the scavengers follow suit, izuku raised his hand a bit at the little girl and boy and strictly reminds them.

Izuku: "Hey. That part about staying together? That goes double for the both of ya."

Duck: "We got this. Right, Clem?"

She nods at both of them. Lee had reached the manhole cover, pushes it to the side and peeks his head out to get a look of the perimeter. It seemed to be deserted for the most part. Only thing he could see was a few school buses parked around the front and a chain-link fence outside the school grounds.

Lee: "Let's go."

Upon crawling out of the manhole, he remains crouched and sneaks over to the backside of one of the school buses. The rest of the group was right behind him. Vernon had a worried look in his eyes while looking around the area. Something didn't seem right.

Vernon: "Where is everybody?"

Travis: "What do you mean?"

Vernon: "I mean that there should be guards patrolling around here."

Kenny: "You disappointed?"

Vernon: "It's just strange is all."

Carley: "We should take advantage of this and get to the front door while we can."

Chuck: "Wait, I can see one. Right there."

He points out the guard he noticed and they all spot him a few buses down. Since he was all alone, this would make it easy to stealthily put him down without anyone noticing.

Lee: "Okay, me and izuku will sneak up on this guy and take him out quietly. The rest of you, wait for our signal and then follow us over."

Taking point, Lee brings out his fireaxe from his pack and stealthily proceeds towards the figure while izuku follows from a short-enough distance and draws his gun, just in case anything happens. As Lee gets close enough, he makes his move by bringing his weapon around the guard's neck in attempt to chock him out until he noticed the horrible smell and the guard was moaning. Once he got a look at his face to see it was all rotten and bloody, he realized that this man wasn't alive.

Lee: "What the fuck?!"

Quickly pulling the axe away from the walker's neck and shoving it back, it turns around and snarls once it saw the survivor and staggers towards him. Reacting fast, Lee lifts the axe up, swings it down on the corpse's head and kicks it down. Izuku aimed at it with his pistol until Lee put it down, lowers his weapon and approaches him to get a closer look.

Izuku: "crap! A walker?"

Lee: "That shouldn't even be around here."

Unfortunately, it wasn't the only one since the men were startled by another walker that banged against the school bus window, making the glass crack. There were more emerging from the sides and inside the other buses, closing in on the survivors.

Duck: "They're coming from everywhere!"

Once the walker inside the bus broke the glass, it starts to crawl through until izuku blasts it in the face with his shotgun. They can't stay outside any longer.