Prologue - When and where it started

"You WHAT?!"

Nightmare's dark voice raged in the whole room he, his gang, and former enemies, were currently in. It was recurrent for the King of negativity to experience such wrath. Although rarely this intense. One could say he was becoming mad enough to destroy the whole place down by himself, and his anger was sadly fulled by Error's own disgust, as well as his gang members's.

The monster responsible of his ire, Dream, sweated immensely as he sheepishly smiled at his brother, nervousness clear in both his voice and actions. "Brother, it's not that bad..." He truly tried to argue. "Just give it a try, it's for all of us after all."

In a desperate attempt to really control himself for once, the negative skeleton gripped the bridge of his nose, at least the bone part of it. "Of all the... Worst of ideas, you really thought creating THIS kind of AU would be the best?!" His words were almost spat, but held only half the venom he wanted to throw at his younger sibling, the Guardian of positivity.

Since both the Star Sanses and Bad Sanses have finally come to a Truce where both sides were satisfied, Dream, Blue and Ink unsurprisingly decided to celebrate this newfound and definite peace they fought for.

Where they have found the idea to create an AU in a way to commemorate it all was, however, a mystery to everyone.

Still, it was there : A brand new Alternate Universe, made by the Protector and his allies.

Ink proudly called it the "Soulmate AU", and deemed it as one of his masterpiece. After all, he had spent quite the time to perfect every single detail of this world, unlike many others he forgot about. Not to mention Dream made sure to document himself as much as he could to help. Blue, too, tried his best to add what the duo didn't think of.

In the end, this AU was one of the most perfectly balanced ever made. Simple in a way, without any Underground, nor any previous Monster war. Both Monsterkind and Humankind living in a peaceful harmony, blended together in an organized Society. Yet, it still held a dark side of itself with its inequalities between all the people. It wasn't much of an Utopia, instead it seemed so normal, no one would believe this world had a curious unique rule :

The Law of Soulmates. Hence its name.

Anyone in there was bounded to another by a link of fate.

"AnD yOu ReAlLy ThInK wE'rE gOiNg To SwAlLoW iT?" Error annoyingly asked to the only person he more or less deemed as a friend, Blue. "ThErE's No WaY wE cAn HaVe A sOuLmAtE oR wHaTeVeR yOu CaLl It JuSt By StEpPiNg In A cUrSeD gLiTcH oF aN AU."

"OF COURSE YOU WILL HAVE A SOULMATE! EVERYONE WILL!" The skeleton with the blue bandanna vigorously defended. "INK, DREAM AND I WORKED EXTREMELY HARD AT IT! IN FACT, WE ALREADY HAVE SOULMATES THERE... WE JUST DON'T KNOW WHO YET!"

This statement made the glitching skeleton slap his face desperately. For him, this excuse of an AU shouldn't have existed. He unfortunately couldn't get rid of it because of the Truce... These kind of moments where when he wondered how and why he accepted to stop his destroying spree and instead live peacefully.

"Imagine you come in the AU and the first person you kill is your Soulmate?" Dust darkly mocked, earning a laugh from Killer and Horror. These three obviously weren't believing their former enemies at all, if most, they were sure no one would want them, even their supposed Soulmates.

Of course, Dream eagerly disapproved of it. "No, we made it clear : No killing everyone. This AU needs its people to live on and it would waste all our efforts."

Still, it became a matter of jokes between the crazy members of Nightmare's gang, to the point he himself almost laughed at the eventuality. One that, he knew, was almost impossible : A complete AU was huge, and a pain in the ass to destroy unless you were Error. So finding a Soulmate, directly after appearing, in a world where they were supposed to have one seemed, in theory, completely impossible.