Chapter 14 - Relief

Start from the beginning

"If Alby was here, you know he would agree with me," he grumbled. Everyone looked at him, jaws tightening at the comment. I could tell Thomas was agitated as if he would throw a punch in Gally's direction at any moment.

"This shank... needs to be punished," he demanded pointing his finger at Thomas.

Newt stood quietly, mentally weighing up his choices, and carefully choosing his next words. He looked up at Thomas one last time, sighed, and then handed back the clue to Minho.

"You're right...Thomas broke the rules... one night in the pit no food," He declared.

I had to mentally stop myself from opening my mouth in shock. I was not expecting Newt to do that. Thomas hid his hurt well but not well enough for me to not notice.

"Oh, come on Newt! One night in the pit? You think that's going to stop him from going into the maze?" Gally protested, face red in irritation.

"No. And we can't just have non-runners running into the maze whenever they feel like it," he huffed.

Gally crossed his arms, waiting for Newt's words.

"Let's just make this official... starting from tomorrow, you're a runner," he declared voice only wavering on the word runner. I could see how hard it was for him to say it out loud. Newt held his gaze firmly with Tom, ignoring Gally's bewildered expression.

"Wow," Gally muttered before leaving my side.

"Gally," Frypan murmured as he passed him, reaching out for his arm. Gally swatted him away.

"Nah Fry," he hissed.

Fry began to follow him out the door, but I put a hand on his shoulder,

"It's okay, I'll talk to him," I murmured. Looking back at Newt, Thomas, and Minho, I saw the expression they gave me. Telling me I shouldn't bother. I shook my head in response and headed out the door.

Gally had already made it halfway across the grass when I left the room. I ran to catch up.

"Gally!" I yelled across the grass, ignoring the stares I gained from the other boys. He didn't turn. I ran faster, he continued to storm to the woods. We were at the tree line now when I shouted again,

"Gally!"

He suddenly turned around to face me, making me almost run into him.

"What?" he hollered; face screwed up in anger. Face red, breathing hoarse.

I took a step back.

"What's the matter Gal?" I whispered. "Something is wrong. That's okay. Just tell me," I pleaded.

He took a few steps back, further into the forest... out of sight.

"You know what bothers me? The fact that Newt has just abandoned the one thing that has kept us together the past three years. Things got low Ellie. Real low. We lost so many boys. Alby made these rules so that would never happen again and now look what is happening. Things are going to shit and we're falling apart, and no one seems to care. I can't see it get low again. I will not lose any more boys. I can't lose you. I will not lose you-"

I close the gap between our bodies, grab his face with my hands, and push my lips against his.

For a moment he was frozen in the same position, jaw tightened, shoulders tense. But then he wrapped his arms around my waist and melted into the kiss. I crossed my arms around his neck and felt my way through his lips. Enjoying the way his hands grasped my hips tighter with every kiss. I ran my fingers through his hair, gently tugging at the roots and he let out a tiny sound that made me understand exactly what he wanted.

His tongue grazed the bottom of my lip, inviting me to dive deeper... harder. I kissed his beautiful, soft lips until I was almost out of breath. He hooked his arms around my ass and quickly picked me up and carried me further into the woods.

"Gally," I murmured as he pushed my back against a tree, just hard enough for me to whimper. I hooked my legs around his waist as he smiled at my lips before diving into another all-consuming kiss. His mouth migrated from my mouth to my cheek, my jaw, and then my ear. He nibbled at my ear lobe while whispering,

"Eleanor," The sound of my name made my back arch, and a very embarrassing sound escaped my lips. His mouth found my neck as he kissed it, sucking at the delicate part that hurt just enough.

His hands explored the small of my back holding me tight, the other hand on the back of my neck, sending shivers down my spine. All earlier thoughts, memories, and tension melted into a puddle by our feet. The tightness of his body disappeared as I grasped his shoulders, feeling the way his body widened at the top. The way his muscles curved under my palm. It felt like all the questions, all the desperations and desires have now been answered. Like nothing would ever be left unsaid. Like we weren't stuck in the middle of a maze. We were just two teenagers, obsessed with the way our bodies felt when we were so close together.