Chapter 12: Hanguang-Jun's Resolve

Lonely Like A Bunny 1

@Wangjis_Cloud

Chapter 12: Hanguang-Jun's Resolve

"Brother Wei come on,walk faster!" Lu Fen urged him, grabbing his arm to pull him, "We are almost there."

Wei Ying allowed the boy to do as he wanted and followed behind him. By the time they reached the village the sun was already shining brightly and the sound of the chickens and cows could be heard clearly.

They were standing in what seemed to be the main street when Lu Fen came to a stop and stopped pulling at him.

"Brother Wei, wait here for a bit." Lu Fen said, turning to look at him. "I'll go bring everyone over here."

Wei Wuxian nodded and obediently waited there. He heard Lu Fen causing a ruckus all along the street as he shouted loudly and knocked on doors. Confused, the people suddenly started pouring out onto the street. When Wei Wuxian turned around, he was already surrounded by a crowd of people. Everyone was staring at him with a mix of fear, curiosity and concern.

Wei Wuxian grew anxious under the stare of so many people and unconsciously took a few steps. And just in time, Lu Fen came out from the crowd and stood in front of him.

"Everyone!" he said with an exaggerated gesture of his arms, "This distinguished cultivator has come to aid us and free us from evil. Please all welcome brother Wei warmly."

All the eyes now turned to Lu Fen in confusion and disbelief. But before they could ask anything, Lu Fen lost himself as he gave everyone an account of what had happened. Explaining how he came across Wei Wuxian as he fled in the middle of the night and how he bravely offered to help them. Then, he passionately narrated how they raided the old man's home and how he had fought the evil spirit, clearly exaggerating things as they actually happened and adding details here and there as the boy pleased, turning this into a completely different story. The townspeople were all deeply entertained by Lu Fen's tale. And once he had finished they all looked at Wei Wuxian with glowing eyes, as if they were seeing a divine being that had descended upon their village to protect them.

This clearly made him very uncomfortable. He was about to rush and deny it, and explain that Lu Fen was just over exaggerating things. But the crowd quickly rushed to hold his hand and shake it firmly, say words full of grateful words and bow deeply towards him.

It took him a while to finally call them down and get them to settle down. When suddenly, one man took a step forward and said, "Estimated cultivator, please allow us to give you a reward in return for your immense kindness."

"Please stop, that's not necessary," Wei Wuxian said, quickly shaking his hands to refuse. "I was just passing by, it was no trouble at all. I didn't do it to get a reward."

"We know you acted out of the kindness of your heart, but still, allow these humble ones to express their gratitude towards you." The man kept pressing. And soon enough the crowd agreed with him and were all asking what he wanted.

Wei Wuxian sighed tiredly and after a moment he finally spoke, accepting his defeat.

"Then, give me that old man's house and allow me to live there."

The people were shocked and looked at it ocher with disbelief. 'How could anybody be crazy enough to want to live in that unfortunate place?', they thought as they exchanged worried looks.

"But..." an elderly woman said with worry, "cultivator master, that place is wicked and filled with misfortune, how could we let you live in such a place?"