nightmares

this was a request from Thetommo2307 !!
thank you for helping me overcome my writers block lol. hope this lives up to your standards, babe 😊

⚠️TW: PHYSICAL AND VERBAL ABUSE, AND USE OF HOMOPHOBIC SLURS
just in nightmares, it doesn't actually happen though. and by the way, i would never ever use a slur of any kind. it honestly just made me uncomfortable to write it.

LOUIS' POV

i wake up with cold sweats and tear stained cheeks. that's the 3rd nightmare this week. i thought they were getting better, but i guess not. i've been having frequent nightmares for a few years, due to a very traumatic experience of mine.

when i lived with my parents, my dad would come home drunk almost every night and would verbally and physically abuse me. this caused me to have nightmares all the time.

harry knows about my experiences with my father, but he doesn't know about the nightmares. i'm just so scared to tell him. i don't want to be a burden. he's already caught me waking up from one a few times, but i just find an excuse for me being awake.

i look over to the right side of the bed, and harry is no where to be seen. the clock says 7:28 am, so he must be awake. he's a pretty early riser unlike me.

i pull my knees up to my chest and try to breathe and calm myself down. i've learned how to comfort myself over the years, since there hasn't really been anyone to help me. i've been on my own for a while.

i inhale and exhale slowly until im mostly calmed down. i grab some fluffy socks from the floor and slide them onto my feet. i grab a throw blanket and wrap it around my shoulders and shuffle downstairs. i peek from behind the doorway and look into the kitchen. my eyes spot a shirtless harry making some eggs. hot.

me and harry met when the abuse was most heavy. he found me crying at the park and comforted me. we were strangers, but he still had no hesitation to come over and comfort a crying boy by a tree and help him out. i'll always be thankful for that. i don't know what would've happened if he didn't offer his house to be a safe place to stay. would i still be at my old house? or would i have gotten out on my own? long story short, we fell in love and it's the best thing that's happened to me. he's helped through a lot. that's why i would feel bad if he found out about my nightmares. he already has so much on his plate.

i pad over to my boyfriend just to stand there in admiration. he turns around and jumps at the sight of me standing there. "oh- hey love! i didn't see you there." he laughs. i softly giggle. he lifts his arms out implying that he wants a hug. i wrap my arms around his soft skin covered in designs of ink.

he sighs and puts his chin on my head as we lightly sway from side to side. "good morning, my baby." he says and kissses my temple. "morning." i murmur.

"aw c'mon you can do better than that! have some enthusiasm!" he encourages while pulling back with a wide, exaggerated smile on his face. "GOOD MORNING MY BEAUTIFUL BOYFRIEND!" i yell and stick my arms in the air. "there you go!" he picks me up off of the ground and holds me like a koala.

"how did you sleep?" he asks. i could be honest and say it was shit and i dreamt about my abusive father, but i do not. instead, i say, "good. how about you?"

"great." he starts, "but are you sure you slept okay? you were kicking all over the place in your sleep. i was going to wake you up, but i didn't want to disturb you."

"oh um i don't really know why." i lie. harry gently sets me down on the ground. he uses both of his abnormally large hands to tilt my face up so i look at him. he always says that his hands are normal sized and i'm just tiny, but i refuse to believe that.

"baby. is something going on?" harry asks with concern surrounding his voice. "no. nothing. everything is fine. what could be wrong?" i respond. he sighs and tucks a loose strand of hair behind my ear in a comforting manner. "i don't know. i just don't want you to be struggling and hiding it from me."

i feel bad now. i don't want him to be offended. i don't want him to be completely oblivious to what's going on either. but i don't want to seem broken. i'm not broken. not yet.

"i'm not hiding anything. do you not trust me?
"baby, of course i trust you."
"really?"
"yes."
i back away and bump into the counter and lean against it. i cross my arms and stare at him. his face drops. his body language tells me he feels regretful. "sorry." i apologize.

"it's okay, lou." he softly smiles. "would you like some brekkie?" he offers. "yeah."

he walks over to the stove and makes me a plate. i watch his back and arm muscles flex and strain as he moves. harry is nice to observe. nice to look at.

he hands me a plate of eggs and bacon. "thanks, h." i smile. "of course, lou."

i sit down and wait for harry to arrive. when he does, i grab his hand across from mine. he rubs his thumb in circles in a comforting manner. "i love you." he says. "i love you." i reply.

the rest of the day is spent on the couch watching different movies. harry insists on watching the 'the notebook' and i get to watch 'grease' in return. it's reaching toward the end of the movie now. i'm laying against harry's bare chest and his arm is around my shoulders. a blanket envelopes us in warmth and comfort, but harry is better at that.

harry's hand lightly strokes my hair. i'm growing tired, but i'm too comfy to move. i don't intend to, but i fall into a light sleep.

i walk into my childhood home
its dark except for the light that shines from the lamp by the curtains
there's a silhouette
i can't see his face, but i know who it is
i see the silhouette throw a glass bottle
i hear it shatter
i flinch
"faggot!" the silhouettes shouts
he storms towards me and his face appears
"you worthless piece of fucking shit!!!"
he punches me in the stomach
knees me in the hip
pushes me to the ground
punches, kicks, and slaps anything he can manage
i can almost taste the blood pouring through my mouth
i hear someone call my name
it's not my father
i feel someone shaking me
it's not my father
"louis. baby."

i sit bolt upright in bed and pant. salt streams out my eyes and into my open mouth. "shhh, louis love." a voice says beside me. i'm still barely conscious, so i don't know what to think.

he attempts to grab me and pull me into a hug, but i flinch and back away into the corner of the couch.

"calm louis. it was just a dream. nothing can hurt you." it's harry. i can't breath. i need to breath. calm down.

"can i come closer?" harry asks. i nod one time. harry slowly moves closer and snakes his arms around me. i sob into his shoulder. flashbacks from the nightmare and real past events flood through my brain.
"h-he's- he's here harry he's here." i ramble. i can feel him still. it's so real.

"he's not here. it was just a dream. no body can hurt you. he can't hurt you." harry comforts. "what do you need?"

"i-don't know." i say.
"okay that's ok." he reassures. "do you want water?" i don't reply. "here. have some water." he hands me a cup. when i don't make a move to grab it, he takes it upon himself to tilt the cup to my lips for me to drink. i take a few sips before deciding that i'm finished.

"do you want to talk about it?" harry asks. i shake my head for no. "ok. that's completely valid and understandable"

"would you like to sleep?" harry asks me. "no not yet." i say. "ok, louis."

"i love you." i tell him, just to make sure that he knows. "i love you too." he tells me, just to make sure that i know.

he treats me delicately and gently. like i could break at any moment. but not like he's scared to break me, but rather like it's ok for me to break every once in awhile. and he'll be there to put me back together.

-
hope you enjoyed!!!! see you next time x