11. A Sister, A Foe or An Enemy?

"It's not overprotective, it's care for you
It's not jealousy, it's love
It's not possessiveness, it's the fear of losing you;
And loosing you means losing myself"___ Ankahe Alfaaz

Chikamharida's POV

"Can't you go do something else," Adele muttered irritated that I was on her tail. Unfortunately for her, the day she needed her alone time the most was the day she needed me, despite unknowingly.

We were climbing the stairs— same ones that led to the study and her room, when we heard voices; a male and a female arguing. The study door was not totally closed as always.

"I'll take care of it Cynthia. Just relax. It's my business just as it it yours," a male voice said but was immediately followed by a cool and controlled female voice.

"I'm trying to stop you from fucking up again. You messed up with our product before, what's to say it isn't you this time?"

"You are just infuriating. If that's what made you come, instead of visiting your own daughter, maybe you should leave. To you it was always business before family."

I'd paused on a stair to listen more, but my interest was cut short when Adele walked directly into the danger zone.

"Dad, mum, we're home," She said, smiling like she hadn't been grumpy moments ago. It didn't take me long to notice that the smile didn't reach her eyes because I used to be someone with that kind of smile; the dimples would be showing, the teeth all aired but in the eyes, it was all a vacant dark hole, or in Adele's case, a brown hole. Of course she made me enter the room with her because I just had to see who I was protecting her from.

"How was shopping?" Me Bolaji asked, smiling at his daughter.

"It was fine," Adele said, the smile never leaving her face as she looked at her mother, then her dad. "Got you something," she said, dropping the box of necklace before her dad. "It reminded me of you."

"Mum," she said, moving to hug her. "You're back. You didn't tell me you were coming."

Cynthia didn't hug Adele back, instead, she stood like she was being electrocuted. The smile on Adele's face dwindled a bit though, that was until Cynthia recognized my presence.

"Who's this?" She asked, lashes fluttering as she looked at me then Mr Bolaji.

"She's Adele's Nanny," Mr Bolaji said. I could feel the displeasure rolling off Cynthia in waves as she studied my dressing from head to toe. Adele also seemed to notice as she stared at us both warily.

"Good afternoon ma," I greeted, bowing slightly.

Cynthia harrumphed.

In a desperate attempt to cut the tension, Mr Bolaji said, "Adele, why don't you both get to your plans. Your mum and I want to discuss some things."

"Alright dad," Adele said, dragging my wrist and leading me out. Finally away from the stuffy room, I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding and looked at Adele who immediately left my wrist.

"What?" She asked when she caught my gaze on her.

I shook my head and started walking up the stairs, towards her room and leaving her to follow.

Pushing the door to her room open, I got in and held it for her to enter.

"You're my nanny but you're acting like I'm fragile and I can't look out for myself," she said as she slumped on the bed.

If only she knew my real job description.

"You're fragile," I said, walking to the stool and sitting so I was staring directly through the window.