𝟓𝟖. 𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

you're fucking with me right now.

the blonde didn't know what to say or do. it was like her body shut down. she just stood there, staring at the shortstop.

he wasn't supposed to be here.

her brain scrambled all the words in her vocabulary in an attempt to spit something out of her mouth. but when she went to speak, nothing came out.

"if you want me to walk away right now, i will." trea said as he quickly noticed the shocked look on the girls face.

she still couldn't say anything.

he pursed his lips and turned back around and began to walk away, back to bryces, then back to la.

her eyes followed him as he started to walk away. he shouldn't have listened to bryce. whatever he said that night wasn't true. he knew that she wanted no part of him.

that was it.

he felt the deepest pit in his stomach and his heartbeat increased. his hands were shaking, and if he tried to pick anything up, he couldn't.

"trea." he heard her voice through the hallway.

he turned around and walked back to her door, to which she then brought him to the couch. he sat with his back against the arm of the couch, the same way he always did. ness walked over to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of wine from the cabinet. she poured two glasses and placed them on the table in front of the couch.

her apartment was fairly empty, which was very unlike her. it had the basics, but her place in la was so, "vanessa." this was not "vanessa."

she sat down leaning entirely against him, but not saying a word.

her body was cold.

she propped her head against him, allowing him to run circles and shapes through her hair, like he always did.

"you don't have to apologize." he said. "i know you always do."

she didn't know what to do or say.

"i'm sorry."

"did you hear what i just-" trea began before she cut him off.

"let me be sorry for something i should be sorry for." ness mumbled. "please."

he paused, for a long time, not knowing what to say. "i can't leave you. i can't do it."

"trea you need to be your own person, without me."

"my person is supposed to be with your person."

"you were a person before i showed up." she argued back.

"i wasn't the same person." he waited for her to fight back, she didn't. "are you staying?"

"here?"

"yeah." he replied.

she couldn't answer his question. she didn't know where she wanted to be.