Chapter 4 - First Day

Comenzar desde el principio

___________

"Alright, I will see you all on Wednesday." Professor Reyes says, whipping the the white board free of dry erase marker. "Where are you off to now girls?" I ask Tara and Darcy as we walk outside the building together. "I am going to the Science Hall, I have Biology 201." Tara says, checking her phone quickly. "I am heading to the Maths Hall." I nod my head and check my phone. It's 9:03. "Maybe we will see you later?" Tara asks enthusiastically. I smile and before I answer, she hands me her phone. "Add yourself on Insta. I can add you to our group so maybe we can get lunch or dinner together! I loved meeting you and your friends yesterday. I really think you will fit in with the rest of us." She adds. I type my name in and a few seconds later I feel my phone vibrate. "All added! Thanks Charlie, we will see you later." I smile and right before I walk away, Tara and Darcy exchange a loving kiss. I wave goodbye before walking quickly away.

I get to the building and take a seat in the front of the room at 9:10, just in time for the professor to walk into the room. I take a quick look around and do not see anyone familiar. Right as the professor starts to talk about the semester, a tall, tan boy walks through the door and takes the last remaining seat next to me. I give a small grin as he places his books on our joint desk. "I am Ben." He says with his hand stretched out for a handshake. "Charlie." I shake his hand. The hour lecture flies by but the professor is already assigning course work for Wednesday which isn't really that fun.

I start to get up when I feel someone walking directly behind me. "Charlie, wait up." I slow down my pace and turn around to see Ben walking quickly to catch up. "Hey Ben did I forget something at the desk?" I ask. "Oh no, I just wanted to say I like the pins on your bag." His smile is really big which causes me to swing one strap off to see what pins he's talking about. I have a gay flag, drum set, music note, and converse star metal pins. "Thanks Ben." I say, swinging my bag back over my shoulders. When we get outside the Hall, our hands accidentally brush as we both reach into our pockets. I can't help but blush. I look up and before I can apologize, I see the redness in his cheeks. He points his thumb the opposite way I need to go. "I am heading this way, I will see you Wednesday Charlie." Ben says, giving a shy smile before walking away.

I check my phone as I walk the other direction. My last form today is an elective class. It's a study abroad course. This uni requires certain types of forms that gives letter credits and we need certain ones in order to graduate. At least this course we are taking a trip to another country during the winter break which will be pretty fun.

I get to the class quickly and I am met by Elle, walking in right behind me. "Charlie! This is really awesome that you are taking this course. Tara and Darcy are taking the Tuesday/Thursday night course for this class so they will be coming on the trip during the break. I think Sa-" Before she finishes, I hear someone yelling Elle's name. Right as Elle and I sit down at the table for 6 students, Sahar comes in with another girl. They take a seat out our table and the girl with large blue eyes grabs my hand to shake. "I am Imogen. You must be Charlie right?" I can't help but laugh, trying to cover my nerves. I give a small nod as she shakes my head. "Elle said you were one of her favorite orientation students!" She adds. "And Tara added you to our Insta group too." Sahar says.

The professor comes in and starts to hand out papers. We walk through the syllabus and talk about the way the form is going to run. Right when the professor is about to change topics, the bulky ginger comes sprinting through the door. "Sorry Sir. My schedule was rearranged and the scheduling department did not inform me of the change until I was in my other elective." Nick says, handing him a piece of paper. "Not a problem. Welcome Nick Nelson. Take a seat with the girls and Charlie." The professor points at our table.

Nick takes a seat next to me and I can't help but look away. We haven't talked since the other night at the diner when I gave him my Insta. I didn't expect anything but you never know. "Hi Charlie." I hear him whisper. I look up and give a shy smile. "Hi Nick." I whisper back. I go back to writing in my notepad while Nick talks to the girls quietly. When the form is almost done, I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. I quickly take it out and see the notification on the screen.

Instagram: nick_nzzzz:
Are you coming to lunch with us? I would really like it if you did!

My heart skips a beat. I look up at the professor and quickly type a response. I look over at Nick and see him smiling, which causes my cheeks to turn red. He looks at me smiles, his teeth showing. Before I put my phone back in my pocket, I shoot a message to Isaac saying that Elle invited us to lunch so I will let him know when we are heading to that way.

The professor ends the form with a really cheesy dad joke. It was so bad, that he was the only one that laughs. "Where are you going now Charlie?" Nick asks me as we all walk out of the classroom. "Uh, I was going to the Music Hall to see if there is a club or something I can join." I say, shrugging my shoulders a little. "Sahar is the club president for the music club!" He says loud enough for Sahar to hear. "Do you play an instrument? She asks. I smile. "I play the drums. I have my own drum set at my apartment!" Sahar stops walking, her eyes wide. "Seriously? The one and only drummer graduated last year so we have no one to play drums. You HAVE to join now Charlie. I will DM you the club info once we sit down for lunch." I appreciate her enthusiasm.

"I wish I was musically inclined. I can barely play the air instruments." Nick says, laughing while he nudges his shoulder into mine. My eyes widen while I look at the ground. "Are you good to head to the Chat now?" Elle asks to the group. I look at her and nod my head. I feel my phone vibrate. "Tara and Darcy already have a table." Imogen says. The Chat is the quick lunch spot in the building right in front of The Green. I shoot a message to Isaac as we walk across The Green. Right when we walk through the doors, I see Tara waving at us. Isaac is already there, his book in hand as he joins in to wave.

Everyone goes to the kiosk stands and places their order. I just go and grab a small container of fruit before taking a seat at the table. A few minutes later, everyone comes back to the table with trays of food. We all talk about how our first day is going. "Tao!" Elle stands to shout. He comes strutting over and takes a seat across from me. "Hi Everyone." He says, smiling brightly. "You must be living it up, Tao. Did you just wake up?" Isaac jokes. "Excuse me!" He says while laughing. I am not sure why but I unfocus from the conversation and just poke at the fruit in my cup.

We spend a little while at the Chat until Elle and Tao say they need to leave to head to their forms. "I actually have to head to rugby practice. So I will see you guys later. If you want to get dinner at the cafeteria, just let me know." Nick says, his leg brushing mine as he gets up. I can't help but look at him, his face flushing slightly. He gives everyone a wave before walking towards the elevators. "You want to go back to the apartment?" Isaac taps my shoulder. "Sure." I say as I watch Nick goes down the elevator. Once the metal doors shut him in, I shake my head and blink a few times. "Let's go." I say.

The rest of the evening and night, I can't help but think of Ben and Nick. Both boys were blushing when we accidentally touched. I can't get their smiles out of my head. I have a hard time focusing on my creative writing prompt until I am interrupted by my phone lighting up with instagram messages.

Instagram: The Dweebs:
elle_argent: Dinner at the cafeteria tonight?
darcy_the_egg: I am starving! I am dragging Tara and we will meet you there!

Instagram: ben_hope_rox
How was your day?
Instagram: nick_nzzzz;
Hey Charlie :) You were quiet at lunch, did you have a good day?