Chapter 6

Today is the day of the ball.

I chose my outfit a few days ago as it is a key point in my presentation to the kingdom. I need to look like a real princess. I need to look flawless.

The dress I picked out with the help of a few stylists is a gorgeous white and red dress. The bust is a straight line and the sleeves are long and see through with glitters on them. My dress has red roses, as a reference to my name, on the right side of the skirt, from the waist to the bottom. I wear a not too uncomfortable corset that tightens my waist.

The skirt of the dress ends at my ankles. It is tight at the waist and spreads as it goes down. It has a see-through layer, the same material as the sleeves on top of it. I wear bright red heals to match the roses.

I wanted to keep my hair long but Lydia braided strands of my hair on each side of my head and tied them together at the back of my head with a very realistic fake rose. She curled my hair so I have pretty waves falling on my back.

As for my makeup, Claire painted my lips a bright red and draw me a sharp cat eye.

Although I am shocked at the reflection I see in the mirror, I'm still afraid of what they will think of me. It's not because I think I look pretty that I am in their eyes. Maybe this is just the minimum they expect each princess to look like.

But still, I smile to myself. I look gorgeous.

Uncle Jacob thought it was best if I looked like the innocent type... but this is more like me.

I want to look fearless even tough I'm terrified. I want to look sure of myself even tough I've never been as confused and lost as of right now.

- You like what you see? Lydia asks me.

- I do, I smile. You did a great job; I turn toward her.

- Oh miss! I'm only highlighting what is already here.

- Thank you, Lydia, I say honestly.

- Well, I'll leave you alone until the ball then.

Lydia closes the door behind her and I am left alone in my room. I'm instantly struck with a strange feeling. My instincts have always been on point and I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong. I'm just stressed out since I got here.

After tonight, hoping it all goes well, I hope that this weight will be lifted off my shoulders.

I pick out my book from my night table and read until Lydia walks in and tells me the ball will be starting soon. I get up and before walking out with her, I notice the flowers on my drawers.

Withered. Again. I wonder how it ispossible that flowers die that fast.

Lydia notices me looking at them:

- Oh, the flowers. I think the gardener keep giving us not so fresh flowers. They wither really fast. Next time I'll go pick them up myself so they will last miss.

- Thank you, Lydia. And yes, it is strange...

Lydia leads me to the top of the stairs. I can hear the hundreds of guests in the hall.

The doors leading to the ball room are wide-open but most of the people are next to the stairs, waiting for me.

Uncle Jacob is waiting upstairs. I can see his surprised expression when I walk towards him and stop on his left.

- Well, that wasn't what I was expecting you to wear... But you look beautiful darling, he smiles at me.

- Thank you, I say in one breath.