thirty seven - azriel

Start from the beginning

"Okay, yes, we can go," Rhysand breathed out, spreading his palms out on his thighs and standing. My heart was thudding against my ribs so hard, I was shocked to not see it against my tight tunic. Alcaeus wouldn't have been kind to her. What if he had hurt her? What if the soldiers did? I felt nauseous.

I didn't even notice Cassian reaching for Rhys's arm until the two of them were gone. I tried to steady my breath, focusing on making my way to the Moonstone Palace. It took longer than I'd anticipated to step through the shadows into the foyer. I saw Cassian leaning against a marble pillar. His arms were crossed and his face held a blend of concern and anger. What had I missed already?

As I drew closer, settling myself beside Cassian, I heard Odessa's hushed voice.

"- screamed all night. Rhysand, it's terrible. I know this was her fate all along, but I can see how badly she wished to not be married."

I swallowed thickly, my gaze wandering to the shadows of the corridor that lead to her bedroom. With a slow sigh, I sent my shadows to her. I felt a presence, realizing then that there was a ward. My shadows could slip in and out, but she couldn't leave.

She's exhausted.
Dried tears on swollen eyes.
She is not badly injured.
Locked in.

I let out the breath I held and focused back on Rhysand and his mother. They were sat beside each other on the settee, Rhysand's hand rubbing his mother's shoulders. Her wings hung limp as though she had no energy to make them rise.

"What now? What will he decide?" Rhysand asked in a hushed tone. I sent my shadows to confirm that Alcaeus was not lingering in any nearby corridors.

"I know he has plans for her soon. During her disappearance, we hosted Aled and his sons for supper. They met in Alcaeus's study several times. From what I've heard, I believe they're going forward with sending her to the Spring Court as early as the next few days."

Oh, Gods. I didn't expect Alcaeus to move that quickly. I also didn't expect that Freyja would be complacent with that. I couldn't imagine she was. Did she accept her loss or did she plan to fight?

The High Lord enters.

I'd forgotten I'd sent my shadows to search for Alcaeus. My back stiffened as I heard his footsteps echoing down the left side corridor. The High Lord entered the sitting area, his eyes immediately narrowing on Rhysand and Odessa.

"Rhysand," Alcaeus announced, nodding his head to my brother. Cassian and I stiffened, eyeing each other as we stepped back. I willed my shadows up, blanketing us in their darkness. I heard Cassian let out a slow breath as we listened.

"Where is she?" Rhys asked, rising from the settee. Odessa rose beside him, her arms curling around her waist.

"Your sister will not have visitors. She has tested my patience enough. Freyja will remain in her bedroom until it is time for her to be readied to go to the Spring Court."

My chest squeezed, eyes snapping to the darkened corridor again.

"She is afraid!" Rhysand barked out, making my breath hold in my throat. Out of my time with the heir, he had never raised his voice to his father. Alcaeus's eyes narrowed, brown hair-dusted jaw ticking.

"Freyja knows her place, Rhysand. As you will next rule this court, she will marry to make peace with our most untrusted. The moment she crosses to the Spring Court territory, she will no longer be of any concern to us. Make peace with that now, son, because I will not entertain your arguments," Alcaeus spat.

Rhysand's own jaw clenched, his fingers curling into tightened fists as he glared at his father. Cassian anxiously shifted on his feet beside me.

"You know that she will hate you for this. She has never wanted to marry," Rhysand said slowly, his voice laced with warning. My own skin tightened as I watched his thin. It was becoming more common now, and it reminded me that the High Lords have other forms. Rhysand may be developing his own.

"It does not matter what she thinks, Rhysand. Freyja will marry the youngest son of Aled and it will be my final responsibility in her life. That boy will be responsible for the brat. She has caused me enough stress. I would not be surprised if she had gone and ruined her purity while she was gone," Alcaeus snarled, rolling his eyes at his own words.

My throat felt tight as I watched them. She had lost her virtue, and I'd been the one to take it. No part of me regretted that decision, but I would if it brought her harm. I shuddered, forcing the memory of Morrigan's destroyed body from my mind.

"And if she has? Will she need to marry?" Rhysand pushed. My heart was racing as I watched the High Lord's head tilt.

"I will do my duties and check for her virtue. If I find her unclean, I will have the damned healers sew her tight enough that that boy will not notice when he consummates the marriage."

My throat burned with bile, a cringe making my eyes fall to the floor. Gods, what did he mean by check her? Would he himself prod at her body? I wanted to vomit.

"That's horrendous, Father. That is an act so cruel, I'd be glad to see her run again. Cauldron, I'd take her away if you so much as touch the hem of her gown," Rhysand snarled. My eyes widened as I took in the blackening of his veins, his wings developing in smoky shadow like my own.

I didn't expect Alcaeus to act upon his anger. He'd never been so cruel in front of us. Odessa's hands flew to her mouth to smother her shriek as Alcaeus's palm whipped across Rhysand's cheek. My brother's head turned with the blow, and I feared the grin on his bloodied teeth as he slowly turned to face his father again.

"You will not stop me from sending her away, Rhysand. I have all the time in the fucking world to create another heir with your mother. If you so much as speak to me like that again, you'll find your soul in the fucking abyss," Alcaeus growled. My eyes tracked the tear slipping down Odessa's cheek. She feared this male, and it made me wonder if he was the same one that seduced her to marriage. Had he changed over the years?

Rhysand's tongue ran over his blood-smeared teeth, the bulging vein above his brow darkened in a way that made me certain he'd shift to whatever form lingered beneath his skin.

"I would gladly tear you down if it meant my sister got a life you never allowed. She deserves to be free. Touch her, and I will have your head."

Cassian and I both went rigid. Rhysand... threatened the High Lord of the Night Court. His father or not, he committed a treasonous act. The way he stared at his father, he either didn't care or didn't realize what he'd done.

Odessa shook her head slowly, trembling fingers over her lips. To my surprise, Alcaeus laughed. His head was thrown back as he howled. Cassian's hand closed around my arm and I realized I was beginning to step forward. Alcaeus tilted his head down, meeting Rhys's glare through his brows.

"Odessa, fetch your daughter. We need to check to make sure she didn't whore herself out during her escape. Get the healer in here just in case we need to tighten her up."

My heart stopped. Cassian's grip tightened on my arm as we both stared at the High Family. I didn't know what to do, not when Rhysand lunged at his father and warriors came from the damned corridors all around us. Cassian and I watched as four armored males took Rhysand in their hold and forced him onto the settee. When Odessa stumbled toward the corridor, I knew this would be the largest test to my control.