30 ~ The truth of that night (2)

Start from the beginning

'Hello...Hey... what are you doing?' I heard from the other side of the device and I could feel the phone being snatched from Shyla Maa's hands. I was about to disconnect it but an authoritative voice spoke.

'Raj gharane ki bahuein khamma ghani kaha karti hai jab unki dadi Sa unse baat karein (When the daughters-in-law of royal families greet their grandmother, they often say "khamma ghani"),' Amrita Rajvansh would never change. She was the grandmother I never had. Abhimaan bhai got his commanding nature from his grandmother because when she said something, she demanded obedience. She always loved to pamper Kabir beyond boundaries and welcomed me into the household heartily. Kabir wasn't her daughter's son for her, he was her own blood. He was her first grandson that she took in her arms.

'Ham naa uss ghar ki beti hai naa bahu, Dadi Sa (I am neither the daughter nor the daughter-in-law of that house, grandma),' I replied ignoring the pang in my heart.

'My son is a Rajvansh. When he married you it was for a lifetime. I have had enough of this tug of war between my children' There was no way I could argue with her. She won't budge anyway.

'What is it that I can do for you?' I asked, ignoring everything else.

'I am opening the closed doors' she said, making my breath hitch. I knew what exactly she was talking about. She would herself eliminate the barriers that were stopping Kabir from reaching me. If there was a force that could defeat all else then it was her. She was quiet for so long so that destiny could take action but now I could sense the dam of her patience breaking.

'He would find his way on his own. I want you to finish this for once and for all Meera Kabir Rajvansh Raichand,' she commanded. Before I could reply she continued her one-sided conversation.

'You have only two options; either make him hate you to the extent of him coming to me and asking me to get him remarried to someone else, or love him enough to get back and fulfill your responsibilities as Kabir's wife in Abhay's marriage. This is an ultimatum,' she said and hung up. I had no idea how she knew I was related to Shyla Maan, but Rajvanshs are unpredictable. They are the dominating royals for a reason. She knew only the latter choice was possible because the former would happen only when hell broke loose.

"I tried to make him hate me. I let him think that I assumed him to be with Lara when I knew the truth. I pretended to ignore him in the cruelest way possible, drawing a line between us. I was ready to go to the extent of giving Kiyaara to him so that he would remarry for her sake and leave me behind." She smiled as her memory took her back to the day he came to her cabin as her assistant. Despite recognizing every aspect of his existence, she talked as if she didn't know the man sitting in front of her. She included that clause in his contract to make sure he knew she didn't trust him, while her will always had only two nominees, Kiyaara and Kabir. Whenever she told him to move on or marry someone else it took anything and everything from her to utter those words.

Every time she tried to push him away something broke so violently inside her that she wanted to scream to shun those voices but she couldn't.

She did everything to push him away, but he kept stepping closer.

"Amidst trying to make him hate me, I fell for him harder than before," she concluded, making Nikhil and Noor look at her spellbound.

"Feelings are mutual, love," Kabir said entering the room. Meera squealed as he suddenly picked her up in his arms and looked at the other two people who were gaping at him.

"You both have had enough of her time. Go, find a better job," he said and stormed out, making them chuckle at his possessiveness. Nikhil muttered to himself, "We failed to see the real him not because we are blind but because it's reserved for her"