Don't Break the Ice

Donquixote Rosinante

Modern(ish) AU. Reader's gender isn't specified. Rosinante is definitely still his original nine foot something in height.

Reader is deaf. Italicized dialogue is meant to be sign language.

.

.

.

Rosinante was waiting for you on one of the benches outside the rink. A hot pink beanie with hearts at the end of the tassels was pulled snugly over his mop of golden hair. A boyish grin took over his features the moment your eyes met.

He had been so excited that he gave no thought for the ice skates already on his feet when he stood. The man started to wave in greeting when his figure wobbled, nearly falling face first onto the concrete.

"Rosi!" You mouthed his name in a silent gasp, hurrying to close the distance. Your hands stretched out for his forearms, looking to help him regain his balance.

His cheeks were flushed and he bashfully avoided meeting your gaze. Something that wouldn't do if you had any hope of communicating with him. You gave his jacket a light tug to draw his attention.

"You look nice." You signed with a smile, relishing in the way his blush deepened. "Help me with my skates?"

Rosinante took your hand, guiding you to take a seat right where he had once been. You watched his large hands as he slid your boots off of your feet delicately and replaced them with the white skates. His amber eyes found yours every so often as he laced them, making sure they weren't too tight or too loose.

"Perfect."

You watched him swallow hard, but he quickly shook his head.

The skates. You were talking about the skates.

A passing child knocked into him from behind as he was rising to his feet once again, sending him stumbling forward. Both of your eyes grew wide as the realization set in that you were about to be crushed underneath the gentle giant.

Rosinante threw his hands out, managing to cage you in as he caught himself on the wall. However, he was too slow to keep you from knocking skulls.

You inhaled a sharp breath, grimacing as you rubbed at the already red skin. As the sting began to subside, a grin tugged at your lips. Joy formed wrinkles at the corners of your eyes as Rosi caressed your cheeks, looking you over for injury.

The scent of smoke lingered faintly, just barely noticed behind the scent of roses.

He leaned out of your space before he signed, "Are you alright? I should have been more careful."

"I'm fine." You assured. "That kid came out of nowhere."

His head whipped around, catching the boy as he looked back to offer a rushed apology before disappearing around the corner. Rosinante tilted his head, a wistful look in his eyes as watched after the retreating figure. You wondered what he was thinking about, but before you could think to ask, he was offering a calloused hand to you.

You slipped yours onto his gratefully, standing to come face to face with his waist. Your nose just barely grazed the material of his jacket before he took a step back to give you a bit of space. You were going to need a ladder just to kiss the man properly.

The date has barely begun and already you're thinking about kissing him.

It wasn't overly crowded on the ice, but there were enough people to contend with that you might find it difficult to sign and skate. The blond didn't let go of your hand until the two of you had fallen into a rhythm.